Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchoring content from multiple text frames on the same line / y-axis

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friends,

I'm in the process of redesigning our staff newsletter, but have hit a snag.

I have two text frames acting as columns within the primary body of my document. The small one on the left is a staff code. The larger one on the right is the main content block. I want to ensure that staff codes always remain on the exact same baseline / y-axis as content subheadings.

I have figured out an ad-hoc solution: ensure that both subheadings and staff codes are aligning to the baseline grid. This has worked mostly glitch-free, with some exceptions.

However, in my ideal world, I could anchor a staff code to each subheading within the main content block. This would allow me to input text anywhere in the document, while preserving flow. It would also ensure that staff codes remain on the exact same baseline / y-axis as content subheadings.

Does anyone know how I might accomplish this?

Thank you very much, in advance.

[11bb08ecba6185f98eec6adc364d0d7b]_UCLA_WeeklyBulletin_test15.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

I'd use a single frame. Use a tab between the code and the subhead, and then a second (indented) paragraph style for the text that should line up with the subhead.

Screenshot 2017-02-21 11.02.21.png

Screenshot 2017-02-21 11.01.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would consider using a table to control the layout of your information.

It is possible to create a 'template' table in your library and add it to your text frame when needed. Each cell can be formatted using cell styles to streamline your work.

Can you confirm if the information in there is manually typed or generated automatically from another source (Data Merge, Placed file linked...) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your example, is the the white frame with red stroke in the actual layout or is this to show the forum the areas in which you have your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd use a single frame. Use a tab between the code and the subhead, and then a second (indented) paragraph style for the text that should line up with the subhead.

Screenshot 2017-02-21 11.02.21.png

Screenshot 2017-02-21 11.01.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all! I tried both the table solution from Eric Dumas and the single-frame solution as proposed by SJRiegel​, and found the single frame solution to be the most elegant and simple (considering InDesign's limitations on table cell auto-resizing!).

Hope this thread helps others with similar issues.

%5B07cf291d372780f25215ffffb1f78729%5D_Screen+Shot+2017-02-21+at+16.38.30.png?X-CloudApp-Visitor-Id=43071

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your redesign process, may I suggest some other changes to simplify your process going forward?

1) I notice that you have three tabs between your days and the corresponding times. For better control, this should be a single tab, with the tab stop location set in the paragraph style.

[07cf291d372780f25215ffffb1f78729]_Screen+Shot+2017-02-21+at+16.38.30 copy.png

2) It is better to avoid using empty paragraphs to create vertical spacing. There is a Space Before and a Space After setting for paragraphs that allow that space to be better managed.

Screenshot 2017-02-21 13.25.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely a lot cleaner. Thanks, SJRiegel​!

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-22%20at%2011.19.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines