• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping layer viewable in layer panel

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say I have a 50 layer project. Layer 2 has audio with markers that I need to keep in view so I can also see with the waveform when working with other layers. In Excel, you can freeze a row so that when you scroll down that layer always stays in view. Is there a way to do that with a layer in the layers panel without continually shying/unshying other layers? I don't want to physically move the layer's order...just keep it viewable so when I have to scroll down to layer 40 I can still see layer 2 at the top.

I suppose I can make the markers on the time ruler instead, but if I have to move the layer 2 somewhere else in time that won't work.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do it directly as in Excel, but you can make it better.  Not as good, but better.  You make the layers you won't work on shy.  It's the Kilroy-looking icon in the switches, activated by the large, similar-looking icon at the top of the timeline.  Once the big one's activated, the layers disappear... which frees up timeline space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response, Dave. Technically, you're right. But as I mentioned in my post I was looking for a quicker way. I was hoping to do this without the extra steps of enabling shying on all layers I want to hide, then clicking the Kilroy icon, working on a layer, then shying it, then clicking the Kilroy icon again to see which layer I want to unshy next and so forth. You have to scroll the layers to find the one you want to unshy anyway, so why the extra keystrokes/clicks to shy and unshy? I just find that to be too many keystrokes/clicks and, therefore, too much time wasted. And as I think we all know, time is money.

If there isn't a solution like I'm looking for then, of course, I'll do the shying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention the layer markers.  Did you know that the j & k keys jump the timeline cursor forward/backward to layer markers and not just layer in-outs and keyframes? 

That could be helpful -- hide the keyframes on all the layers (easy), use j & k keys to the layer marker, highlight the next layer that needs work, hit the u key to reveal keyframes, and do your voodoo.

It ain't great, but it helps....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thanks for the quick reply and tips, Dave...didn't know J & K were the keyboard shortcuts for moving between markers. Very helpful, I see where you're going there...making the list in the layers panel shorter by not revealing keyframes in every layer. It could help. I'll try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was talking with some other folks just the other day about this exact same feature. It would be quite handy. Please file a feature request (we did) so that the AE team knows people would find this useful. The number of votes do matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines