• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Detection - yes or no?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supposedly you can select "detect duplicates" when importing.  I did this and imported images from a large directory.  All the duplicates came into the catalog?  Searching the documentation I see this

Note: The Synchronize Folder command does not detect duplicate photos in a catalog. Lightroom does not have a function that identifies duplicate files.

So, which is it?  Does LR detect duplicates or not.    I paid the $150 for LR thinking I was getting some that worked better than Apple Photos.  So far I'm feeling ripped off.  Hopefully all part of the learning curve?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

The quote you provide is not as clear as I think it should be, but it seems like it is saying that there is no tool to detect duplicates that are ALREADY imported. Lightroom certainly can detect a duplicate if you are trying to import a duplicate of a photo that is already in Lightroom.

Yes, I think you need a third party tool at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you see that quote?

The normal behavior of Lightroom is to exclude duplicates, assuming you have that option turned on. Sometimes it may get turned off by accident. For a photo to be a duplicate, it has to have the same capture date and time, same file size and same original file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Yes, I read that in the documentation.   The quote came from pg 133 of the 7/26/2016 version of the LR reference manual.  I'm using LR 6.0 downloaded from Adobe site within the last month.

The 'gotcha' must be the file name, since I'm importing from files already saved, the file names are obviously distinct.  I was guessing the 'same original file name' refered to what the camera wrote into the meta data.  However, the only thing I see on LR panel is 'file name', not 'original file name', and of course that matches the non-duplicate name from the file system.   The names suggest that some previous photo tool (iPhoto, Picassa, or Photos) replaced the meta data to match the file name when it was written.

If most of this is correct, then I guess I need to rely on a third party tool to remove the duplicates?  Last one I tried using on a Photos library corrupted the library causing me to embark on this laborious process of recovering and reorganizing using LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quote you provide is not as clear as I think it should be, but it seems like it is saying that there is no tool to detect duplicates that are ALREADY imported. Lightroom certainly can detect a duplicate if you are trying to import a duplicate of a photo that is already in Lightroom.

Yes, I think you need a third party tool at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: The Synchronize Folder command does not detect duplicate photos in a catalog. Lightroom does not have a function that identifies duplicate files.

This statement in the Adobe help is incorrect. dj_paige's reply explains the actual behavior.

I filed a bug report on incorrect documentation: Lightroom: Misleading documentation on duplicate detection | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Adobe is usually very good about fixing documentation mistakes reasonably quickly.  Thanks for calling it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This conversation is 6 years old, but the problem persists. I can't import half of a batch from my recent vacation into Lightroom mobile because in spite of different file names, time stamps, and image content, LR has determined them "duplicates" and apparently there's STILL no way to deselect the option. I've had it rightly skip re-importing the same picture. But this is the first time it's doing it, en masse, to whole batches of pictures. Very disappointing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The option is in the Panel on the right side of this screen capture;Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 8.19.02 AM.png

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines