• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate/Reset bounding box

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a rectangle-like object. Its bounding box doesn't allow me to scale it along the natural rectangle's x and y axis. I'd like to change the boundig box so it's aligned to the object's rectangliness, and can be then nicely scaled and keyframed. In Illustrator, there is a "Reset boundig box" function which would help me with that, but I haven't find any solution in After Effects. Any ideas?

Bounding Box.png

Should become this:

Done.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the shape? Without seeing the modified properties of the layer that is giving you the problem it's almost impossible to tell what's going on. There is no reset bounding box in After Effects, but a more efficient technique in creating the shape in the first place may give you what you need.

To show the modified properties of a layer press the U key twice. To give us screenshots that are useful in diagnosing problems please use Print Screen or Shift+Ctrl/Cmnd+3 on a Mac to capture the whole AE interface making sure that anything that may be causing problems like the footage info or the comp that is displayed in the Project Panel is selected and visible as well as the modified properties of the layers giving you problems is visible, then paste or drag the screenshot from the desktop to the reply field on this forum so we can give you some better suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. It was an imported shape from Illustrator – which was already rotate there, so when imported to AE, it gained the bounding box which was not aligned to its rectangliness. I imported the original shape levelled to 0° and that worked well. Is there no other way to change bounding box orientation if I'd really need to in the future without recreating/reimporting of the shape?

Maybe can I somehow export the vector, rotate it in AI and then import back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the Overlord plugin, from Battle Axe? It's really great for going back and forth between Ai and Ae, though I'm running into a similar issue as you.

In my case, I'm sending lines from Ae back to Ai, but Ai isn't recognizing the rotation angle from Ae. I want to be able to rotate my lines in Ae and 'reset bounding box' so that after rotation the angle goes back to 0º. Then when I send them to Ai the lines would be at the correct angle.

Long story short, the client wants a Ai file of one frame of an animation, so I need to easily send everything back to Ai. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply Distort>Transform. Bounding box won't appear different but you can now scale properly in the effect settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thta solved my problem. Big thanx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines