Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Standalone v6.0 video performance

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Lightroom standalone v6.0 on my Windows 10 Surface Pro 4 (i7, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD), and finding that video playback is problematic. I capture video using either my Canon 7d, or Canon G16 cameras, and import them directly using Lightroom. Lightroom is directed to "copy" the files to my Synology NAS server which sits on a 1gbs network connection. Both cameras capture video in .mp4 format at 1080 60fps. When I try and playback the video files in Lightroom, the video jitters and audio runs ahead while the video stream has stalled. If I play back the video files using any program such as VLC or media player, the stream are perfectly normal.

Is there any method of ensuring Lightroom can play video back without any delay or jitter?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Lightroom isn't really optimized to play video. I have 32GB RAM but LR still doesn't really like vid. Premiere would be a better bet for working on video.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about others, but I for one have stopped using Lightroom for anything related to my video. Lightroom is resource hungry  as it is on still images. It's just easier to use video software to work with video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Generally, I am with you on this, but I still try and use Lightroom as my asset management tool, and due to my workflow, I like to keep a single "master" application for managing files. I tried a few other apps, but some of them wouldn't work with video, and others didn't have my output requirements (video conversions to certain folders) so I am still using Lightroom. I would like to blame the network storage but two things stop that:

1: using any other app to play the video from the NAS works perfectly

2: playing local SSD video through Lightroom work pretty badly too.

Maybe the answer is stop using Lightroom for video asset management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try doubling your RAM to 16 GB to see if that helps. But that's kind of a gamble if the only purpose is to improve video performance in Lightroom. I don't shoot a lot of video, but when I do I use Premiere Pro. I'm using an i5 computer with 8 GB RAM and Premiere Pro stutters a little bit while I'm editing, but the exported finished video plays just fine. 16 GB of RAM are recommended for Premiere Pro, but my computer will only accept 8 GB. Thinking about getting a new computer, but not very seriously right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom isn't really optimized to play video. I have 32GB RAM but LR still doesn't really like vid. Premiere would be a better bet for working on video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines