• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import with copy/move does not allow source disk to be selected as target.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large directory of photos (50K+) on external RAID drive.  I know that as many as 60-80% of these are duplicates (don't ask why or how).  I was hoping to import from this directory, specifying 'ignore duplicates', and move the unique images to a new directory on the same drive (after which I could delete the directory that's mostly duplicates).  Unfortunately, when I click "To" and select "Other Destination", the source drive is greyed out and unable to be selected.  Any other drive is fine, but that's not what I want to do.  I view this as a bug, unless it's protecting me from myself in some unknown way.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to update the info in the previous post. 

I have 50K photos on a 2T LaCie RAID 1 drive, along with a buch of other stuff.  Disk is mounted and readable/writable from my Macbook Pro.  The first catalog created with Add was place on the Macbook internal 256GB SSD.  (I never got the procedure in the original post to work).   I next tried to export a catalog to the LaCie disk.  Same problem as above: LR only showed the device greyed out and I couldn't select it.  Next I exited LR, restarted, creating a new catalog on the LaCie drive.  No problem.  Next I restarted LR again, this time selecting the original populated catalog.  Now I try the 'export catalog' again, and magically it works.  The LaCie drive properly appears and I can select it. 

Pretty sure there's no pilot error here.  Since other apps have no problem, I suspect LR has a bug, but I don't have incentive to try debugging it any further at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to export the catalog and the images, by selecting the option to include negs? If you are doing this, there may not be enough room on the external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No negs.  There's more than enough room -- 700+GB.  The 50K Images are around 150GB. 

Moreover, the problem occurs when trying to select the media for output--it remains greyed out and couldn't be selected until I went through the procedure above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines