• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom page sizes "corrupts" itself

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently created a bunch of custom page sizes for different magazine ads and so on in InDesign CC 2017.0 (Build 12.0.0.81).

However, the page sizes seem to "corrupt" themselves.

Skjermbilde 2017-02-22 kl. 17.06.40.png

For instance, as the 7th line I originally had created the page size "BV 1/1s" (indicating the magazine called BV and a 1/1 whole page size). However, when I selected it, instead of showing the correct width of 220mm and height of 297mm, it showed a width of 0,219mm (or so) but correct height. (It might have been a height of 0,296mm and width of 220mm, I don't remember exactly).

It didn't work to try to change the size to something else, so I decided to delete the page size and create the size again. But then, the page size "BV BG-1/8s L" decided to change to:

Width: 0,042mm (should be 90mm)

Height: 60mm (is correct)

Skjermbilde 2017-02-22 kl. 17.13.10.png

When I then tried to change this to the correct values and selected page size, I get this error message:

Skjermbilde 2017-02-22 kl. 17.17.37.png

Translated to English: Cannot create the selected page size. The size of the document page has to be between 1 and 15552 points. It is also possible that columns and margins are too large for the selected page size.

I have the following questions/theories:

1. I have used slashes '/' in the page size names. This might have something to do with it, as InDesign saves this somewhere as a txt/xml-file or something similar, which might use these as escape characters?
(If this is the case, though, this is a bug which should be fixed as it is possible to save page names with slashes).
I haven't bothered to try to delete all the page sizes, and create them again without slashes, as it's quite a tendersome job, and it might not even work if the cause of this issue is something else (which is why I posted this here).

2. Is it possible to edit these page sizes manually in some kind of txt-file or system file, as I've read was possible in versions before InDesign CS5? This would make it much easier to bulk add a bunch of custom page sizes, and also much easier to propogate the settings to a bunch of different InDesign installations and users.

3. I can't find a way to re-arrange the page sizes, other than deleting and re-creating the page sizes in order manually. Is this really the case? I would consider this a very basic feature.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I have used slashes '/' in the page size names.

My guess be that it's the use of the forward slash. Avoid those and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mathias,

were the problems showing up immediately after creating the document presets?
Or "only" after you restarted InDesign?

I tried to recreate the bug with my German InDesign CC 2017 on a German OSX 10.10.5 and I failed.

Could also be a local problem with your InDesign preferences perhaps…

Or it's a bug with your localized InDesign version.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, and thank you for your answer.

I honestly don't remember for sure if I restarted InDesign, but I don't think that I did. The problem started to appear very shortly after I created the page sizes. However, I closed/opened a few documents and the 'New document' pane a couple of times.

I'm running Norwegian (Bokmål) InDesign CC 2017 on a Norwegian (Bokmål) macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

I'll try to create the page sizes again without the forward slash as suggested by Steve Werner, and hopefully that fixes the problem. If not, I might try to reset my InDesign settings, even though that would be a huge annoyance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

I have the same problem and I have tried to name the sizes with spaces without spaces with "ä" and without.

Nothing helps!

The Adobe support says no problem with my file and that it must be a problem with another software, that change the xml.

I have no idea and don't know where to start looking, so I think I have to live with this problem.

If anyone has an idea I would be very thankful for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines