• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to complete installation of Flashplayer24

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to install Flashplayer24 on an fresh format and installation of Win XP SP3. Besides Firefox and Avast AVS, no other apps have been installed. The installation thermometer runs to about 50% then reports "installation failed". I click Finish and follow the troubleshooting instructions to no avail since Flash or Shockwave are not present in the Firefox plugins at all and cannot be enabled.

• Operating system version = Windows XP SP3
  • Web browser and version = Firefox 51.0.1 (32-bit)
  • Flash = 24.0.0.221

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's possible Avast AVG is blocking the installation.  The online installer, which you're using, downloads and installs silently in the background and some a/v software has been known to block the downloading of the Flash Player file.  We'll need to review the installation log files to troubleshoot the failure.  Please provide the following log files:

• FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.  If this is a 64-bit OS, the FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash is also required
  • Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files saved at C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs

Upload the files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt reply. Here's the link to FlashInstall.log Shared Files - Acrobat.com 

Regarding Adobe_*.log files, I don't have either. In fact I don't have the specified directory. I also used the XP Search utility looking for Adobe*.* and all I caught was the Flash Installer.

Over to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I guess I'm not going to get a positive result in this forum. I received an email from Adobe Community stating "You have received this email because the content you posted below has been rejected by our moderators."

I presume this is because i didn't post all of the requested files. Perhaps Adobe's instructions should cover the situation where the files do not exist on the PC in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the logs. Please go to "Still having problems section" on Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier  page and download Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI from there.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jims1943 ,

Sorry for not replying last week.  I don't know why a post of yours was rejected by a moderator.  There are various reasons for that to happen.

Based on the screenshot you posted, you are using the online installer (which downloads and installs Flash Player silently in the background) and the log files for the online installer are saved at C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs.  Local Settings is a hidden directory, so it's possible it's hidden on your system.  To view hidden files/folders see Show hidden files, folders, and filename extensions in Windows 10 and earlier

The FlashInstall.log file you provided doesn't include any installation logging, so the failure is happening prior to Flash Player installation (perhaps when the online installer is downloading Flash Player installer, but it's hard to say without the online installer log files).  The installer file suggested by my colleague should work.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

You correct to remind me that on a brand new XP install system files are hidden by default.

When I saw the email telling me my post had been rejected by a moderator I assumed that was the end of the line for support. Early in the log you mentioned that the antivirus s/w might be interfering with the Flash install. Did a full removal of Avast, rebooted, installed Flash successfully, rebooted then installed Avast again. Flash is working. Avast is working. As far as I'm concerned the log can be closed as successful.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jims1943

Thanks for the update.  Avast shouldn't be blocking the installation.  We upload new files to VirusTotal with each release and many a/v software use VirusTotal to deem files safe, however, I don't know if Avast does or doesn't.  If you have concrete evidence that Avast blocked the installation, I'll notify our online installer team.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria, my only evidence is that on a newly formatted fresh XP install from the original cd followed by SP1, SP2 and SP3, followed by the latest version of Firefox, then Avast, I tried to watch a video at itv.com and was cautioned that I needed to install Flash. I followed the Adobe links, downloaded and ran the online installer at least 4 times. Each time it failed at about 50%. In your post from 16 Feb at 1:59PM you said "It's possible Avast AVG is blocking the installation", so I decided to uninstall Avast using the Windows add/remove S/W function. The Flash online installer then worked flawlessly.

I'm happy to have Flash installed.

Thank you,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update.  I'll pass it along.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines