Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot input date into field

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 release. I'm editing a form and wanted to add several boxes where users can select a date. Under "prepare form," I chose "add a dropdown list," then went into the properties-->format--> and chose date in the format of mm/dd/yy. However, when I go back to the form as a user, I am unable to either 1) type anything in or 2) choose any option from the drop-down menu (although I see an arrow).

I have successfully added other drop down boxes on this same form.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Good news: You do have the subscription version (indicated by the "Continuous" in the version information). All you need to do is upgrade: Select Help>Check for updates and you should be all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add entries to the list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Until this moment, that had not occurred to me to add the dates as entries. However, now I am in even more confusion--surely there is a better option than manually imputing every single date of the year into the list. The users would have 365 options to scroll through!

Ideally, I would like to choose a calendar as an option, but from other threads I've read there seems to be a special script for this that may be over my head!

I'm open to any suggestions you may have for users to be able to simply select a date for their upcoming meetings.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the subscription of Acrobat Pro DC use the calemdar icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide a step-by-step instruction on where to find this option? Sorry I am very new to Acrobat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a text field to your document (either using the text field button, or the calendar tool button as  suggested by Bernd), then bring up the properties dialog for the field. You should see something like this:

2017-02-22_14-55-04.png

Now select the "Format" tab and select to add a format category of "Date". Now you can pick the actual date format:

2017-02-22_14-56-02.png

If you've selected the date field instead of the text field, the format should already be set, but you can change the date options on the properties dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have a subscription of Acrobat DC you will see the calemdar icon when you use Tools > Prepare Form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bernd. I do not see that option under "prepare form" so i must not have the version you're referencing. This is my work computer/work project hence my ignorance on this software!Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 3.14.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please bring up the "About" dialog and list the complete version number. What you are experiencing is not what's supposed to happen (you can see what's supposed to happen in this blog post I wrote a few weeks ago: New Form Field Types in Acrobat DC: Image Field and Date Picker - KHKonsulting LLC)

I see that you are using the Mac version of Acrobat. That's how I took the screen shots in the blog post, so I know it's working even on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Karl I'll check out that post. Here's the version: Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 3.27.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news: You do have the subscription version (indicated by the "Continuous" in the version information). All you need to do is upgrade: Select Help>Check for updates and you should be all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great. Thank you both so much for your expertise! I know my supervisor will be really pleased with this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you subscribe Acrobat DC you will get the new features:

What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the date format to work, you will need to use a text field. For users with Acrobat or Reader DC, the date picker will be shown automatically for a date field (meaning, a text field that uses a date format).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karl,

I switched the field to a text field, went into properties, and chose the date format of mm/dd/yy. However, when I go back into the document as a user, the "date picker" does not show up for me. I can still type in the date, of course (I can actually type ANYTHING into the field). Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is true, you can type anything, but when you do and you leave the field, you will get an error message from the validation system that tells you that the information you typed is not correct.

Do you see a little triangle on the ridge side of the field when you click into it? That's how you activate the date picker: Click on the triangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the triangle, the cursor begins flashing in the field... nothing drops down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines