• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR Windows 64bit version

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know the current state of development of the 64bit Windows version of AIR.

This was mentioned over 1 year ago, and then planned for release 23, and we are now in the middle of 24 beta and there is no mention of it.

In multiple occasions I expressed my interest in testing ANY version of it, since I have a LIVE project, with customers who NEED more than 1GB of memory.

Luckly, the small percentage of MacOSX customers are happy, since 64bit has been available for more than 1 year for them.

Can you please provide any insight on the matter?

Regards

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!!! we need to know the planning! Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, this looks like those kind of questions that one should not be asking...because no one from Adobe is responding to it. not by forum, not by mail... just silence.

Makes me wonder if its any worth to continue developing in AIR....

Funny that I dropped AIR in favor of React Native for an App I just started... They started developing it 7 years after AIR was first release as "Apollo"... and funny how there are a LOT of things AIR did back then, that they are getting to do it now and claiming "the newest big thing"... I wonder how Adobe lost 7 years of lead in a market where they used to be the only ones....

anyhow.... can you tell me how is your project going and what is your focus?

regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asking same question to the adobe team from more than one year ago. No one responds me... I can not understand why...!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature would also be very useful for me. I primarily develop Windows-based touch screen interactive kiosks, and having access to more memory would open up a lot of new possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy if the 32bit version would at least allow 2GB of RAM usage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, it should allow 4GB minus whatever the OS is using... I don't understand the 1.2GB limit (950mb and it can get unstable), mathematically, it makes little sense.

I hope this thread gets some attention. Silence is slowly but surely killing my hopes (and rapidly degrading my relationships and investments over the past 10 years of using Adobe stack!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same same for me. If Adobe is more or less the desktop version letting die, than they should at least be honest about it.

Maybe Adobe should make a crowd-funding action so we can pay them more money so we can do our jobs again ... would make sense, even financially.

Crowd-Funded Air Desktop Coders @ Adobe. Why not 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can we do to force at least an answer from Adobe??

A "virtual claim"???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quigemega,

I don't know. I find the fact that no one from Adobe jumps into this thread very disappointing. It has been online for 2 weeks. Several staff members have answered and created announcements in the interval that we have been posting here.

That goes to say that its not like no one have seen it...

As mentioned before, if Windows 64bit is a no-go for X reason...at least should tell us so we can move on with our lives and find other alternatives. However, it is very disappointing, 64bit systems are in use for at least 10 years!

I really cannot see how "Spherical video" support is more important than 64bit support, for instance. unless the scope of AIR boiled down to simple games, simple apps, simple...

Enough bashing... I mean no disrespect. I have been a user of AIR since Apollo days, and I fully enjoyed it.  But as anyone, I would rather know if I will continue to rely on it for the next 2 to 3 years (at least)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I really cannot see how "Spherical video" support is more important than 64bit support"

I think the same way.

What the hell is "Spherical video" anyway, lol !?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built a video editing engine with extremely high memory requirements where up to 16 videos play at once.  On my PC I was hitting the 90% CPU usage and decided to try my luck with the 64 bit version on Mac.  I was amazed to see the CPU peak at 20%.

I look forward to every update for AIR, but this was a real game changer for me.  To put it simply I suddenly had proof that AIR was better than any other engine out there.

Keep updating - that's all I want to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it's the technology and not the platform. It would be interesting to try your test on a PC that was using QuickTime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell the cause of the drastic improvement is caused by the app running in 64 bit.

QuickTime didn't change anything.

Beyond this on PC whenever the memory usage passes 1GByte the application crashes.  On Mac everything runs smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, we nned this version of AIR. Don't forget about us. So we could move forward with our projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a PC version of 64 bit AIR too difficult to create, or is it just not a high priority?

What about Android?

All I want to know is if I can promise my clients that in the near future their apps will have far more power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope its just a matter of time.
If I got the sequence of events right.... Windows 10 came out right when they wanted to do Windows 64bit. and that posed a problem, because of the Universal Windows apps which are not exactly the same as a regular app.

Hope to hear the good news soon.I have about 5 years of work that will either grow, or go to trash based on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have Adobe ever responded to this feature request?  Is it a high priority?

What about 64 bit on Android?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been waiting for this "feature" for over two years now. I'm actually working on two complex projects and on both I have serious memory limitations on about 1GB ram. What's the point of developing cross-platform applications with air, it makes no sense, on windows it craps out.

I'm starting to believe they don't give a crap about desktops any more, especially windows ones. I'm already starting to look for alternatives for porting, I suggest you do the same. It's sad because I really like as3 and air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually good news. Thanks for the link, I'll try to jump on board, I hope they release this thing as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for showing your interest in AIR Windows 64 Bit work. We have posted today the AIR Windows 64 bit build on our beta page Download Adobe AIR 25 Beta - Adobe Labs . We would like you to try this out and share your feedback/issues.

Regards,
RohitAdobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome news

This improvement is highly anticipated !

It's a pitty that share runtime is not supported but there is the Captiva alternative

I will test and if the performance difference is notable on my App, I will re-think to change from shared runtime to captiva option !

It's possible to release a Flex SDK ready option to make the things easier from Flex Devs ?

Thank you very much for the amazing news !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few users with Windows XP, so I need to continue to support 32 bits version.

Does this EXE compiled with captiva runtime will just work on 32 bits system or I will need to have 2 different SDKs and compile on with AIR for 32 bits and another one for 64 bits ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to see this out, finaly.
I'm working on an application that involves dealing with images and lots of them. After a quick test I see that there are issues with bitmaps and BitmapData,  color bands and artefacts are present when scaled to a certain ration, I believe and only after publishing as 64bit app.bitmap_bug.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines