• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Open File - Missing Plug-ins Indesign

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new computer w Windows 10 (used Windows 7 previously). My CS5 Design Premium Creative Suite 5 installed but now I cannot open .indd files I created on the old computer. When I try to open a file it says "Missing Plug-ins SharedContent.rpln, The document uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system. Do you want to open anyway?" I click OK and then another box pops up that says "Cannot Open File, Text.rpln, Generic page item.rpln, graphics.rpln, xml.rpln, and a few more."  Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest versions....

Ran the updater, no change.  Any suggestions??  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Then there’s your problem. You download CS5.5 from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-5-product-downloads.html

You’ll need your CS5.5 serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brenda,

could you run a test on one of the InDesign documents and verify the exact version it was created from?

See the ExtendScipt script IDentify.jsx by Jongware to do this:

[Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

How to install it?
Download the zip file that Jongware linked to.

And follow the steps to move the jsx file to the right folder in your system.

Then the script is immediately available in your Scripts panel.

Details here:

Scripting in InDesign

https://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

If it's installed double click it from InDesign's Scripts panel.

You will be prompted to navigate to the document you want to test.

Select an InDesign document and say OK.

An alert will inform you what the script found. Here an example for a document saved with InDesign CS6 version 8.1
The alert says CS6.1. And it also says that I can open this document. I ran the script with InDesign CC 2017.

IDentify-Result-CS6.1-Version-8-1.png

For documents last saved with CC versions of InDesign you have to interpret the result a bit.

This is showing that the document was saved with InDesign CC 2015.3:

IDentify-Result-CC-2015.3.png

At the time Jongware wrote the script InDesign CC version 9 was released and nobody knew how the next versions following would be named. So the naming scheme of the script is a bit odd:

CC is CC 9.0

CC.1 is CC 9.1

CC.2 is CC 9.2

CC.3 is CC 9.3

CC.next is CC 2014 version 10.0

CC.next.next.3 is CC 2015.3 version 11.3

CC.next.next.next is CC 2017 version 12.0

My assumption:

In your case the result could be

CS5.5 that is version 7.5

which is not CS5, that would be 7.0

CS5 and CS5.5 are totally different versions of InDesign.

You cannot open CS5.5 documents with CS5.

Wheras you could open CC 2015.4 documents with CC 2015.1.

Or you can open CC 2014.2 documents with CC 2014.1 or CC 2014.

That's the big difference to CS5 vs CS5.5.

//EDIT:

Ah. Please come back here if you tried and tell what the alert is saying.

Best log in to the forum and post a screenshot of the alert. You can do this using the forum's tools:

InsertInlineImage-ScreenCapture-AdobeForums.png

Thank you,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ask someone with new version to open indd and save to you idml.

Share link to your indd (drropbox/yadisk/etc) here or here - Запросы на понижение версии InDesign. indd to idml, indd to inx

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved the file (in CS5.5) as idml, but receive the same messages about missing plug ins when I try to open in CS5. Thank you though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That generally indicates that all you did was change the file extension. Not the same as exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  The files I'm trying to open were created in CS5.5 which is what was previously installed on my old computer, as I had no problem sharing files between the two programs. I do believe I received an update from the original CS5 program, but I don't see that on the Adobe site anywhere.

It looks like I'm running CS5 version 7.0.4 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then there’s your problem. You download CS5.5 from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-5-product-downloads.html

You’ll need your CS5.5 serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. Working on that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob.All's well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Few years ago i had to delete everything on my mac including older versions of Adobe CS. Installed CS5.5 again, the latest version i had bought. After that I can't open IDML or normal 5.5 files in Indesign. When i open it just spinning, and indesign is crashing. I recieved the same message about missing plug ins or updating plug ins. Did update everything but still have the problem : / what to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your current OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS X El Capitain - 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.5 is not supported under 10.11 or later. Someone might have a suggestion to help but it’s important to understand that you might never get it to work satisfactorily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to open a ID5 file in ID5.5 and I get the same error message you do.

Isn't that lovely. (The power supply died on my Macbook that was running ID5. I checked the file version using that script: yes, it's ID5.)

I also exported the ID5 files in IDML format since I saw that mentioned. Again, same error!

I have a PC Win7 laptop w ID5.5 on it. Whew, I thought I was rescued! Silly me.

I've restarted my PC several times, restarted ID...

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then it's either a corrupt file or it was created in a newer version of InDesign.

If you want to post one of the files on dropbox and give us a link someone will check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines