• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2017 avi cannot be opened error 86::1

Participant ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file I was working on just 5 days ago in AE 2017. I go to open it today and suddenly all the .avi files are giving me the following error.

After Effects error: File "[filenamehere.avi]" cannot be opened, it may be an unsupported format. ( 86 :: 1 )

aviError.PNG

I have unintalled, reinstalled after effects and the error is still there.

Any way to fix this with out converting and replacing the avis?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll probably waste a lot less time if you just do it over again.

AE CC 2017 isn't Adobe's most stellar version.  Not by a long shot.  Too many people have weird problems with it... like you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NickGripton,

Sorry that you got this error. What happens if you transcode the file to another format? That may help. Let us know if that works or if you still need assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

Thanks for getting back to me. I was asking if there was a way to do this without transcoding to another format. If I transcode it to a different format it would be a totally new & different file and obviously, that would work. There are a lot of avi files, so its a lot of work to convert and reimport every file making sure they're all correct.

Also worth noting is that the computer in my office is set up almost identical to my home computer and the avi files work fine there.

Be nice to get a solution. I would happily provide you with one of the avis.

cheers

NickG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's likely because the one computer has codecs the other doesn't have. On the computer where it works, check what codec it's using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone solved this problem? 3 of my team have new PCs with the new version of AE --> all have the same issue. I have installed k-lite codec pack and VLC. still no luck. Quick time is installed but wont play the file. all other media players do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have some very bad memories of the K-Lite codec pack. A few years ago, installing it was pretty much guaranteed to mess up Premiere Pro and After Effects. It was one of the first thing we asked people about if they were experiencing weird issues with AE. In some cases, they had to wipe their whole computer and reinstall Windows before things could start working again. It was really bad.

Hopefully the current version doesn't cause the same problems.

Where are the AVI files coming from that you're trying to import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines