• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape only moves by grabbing anchor point? No brackets

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I feel like an idiot asking this question, but I can't figure out what's going on. I have two shape layers a square and a line. Hovering over the square gives me brackets with the ability to grab it anywhere and move it around. The stroke line shape however only lets me grab it and move it right at its anchor point (no brackets).

Why is it doing this? If i draw a new line in a new comp, it has the brackets that let me grab it from anywhere. Thanks for any help someone can give!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also when I add a 3rd point to the same line I made using the pen tool, suddenly the surrounding brackets appear again and the shape can be moved by clicking anywhere on it. When I subtract that point out, it goes back to no brackets and the only way to move it is by anchor point (or position settings within the layer).

What is going on where AE stops allowing me to grab the stroke line with two vertices... but is fine when at 3 or more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you don't get this?

linebracket.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, instead I see the line highlighted with no brackets around it and only the anchor point visible. If I grab the anchor point with the selection tool I can move the line around. It's like it gets rid of the ability to grab it anywhere else and forces me to move it around with the anchor only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, exact, version number of AE are you using?

Can we see a screenshot of what you're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using AE CC 2015 and when opening up AE in a new project and comp, I cannot seem to replicate the issue. I was following along with a long shape tutorial with gradients and all the add functions like trim paths, repeater etc. I'm not sure if I accidentally hit a random hot key, messed something up, or if it was just a bug in messing around with all the shapes.

Regardless, I can now grab shapes and strokes again with the outer brackets and so this is fixed. Thank you very much for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem! Glad it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines