• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to flatten object in document?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to redact confidential information within a document by placing black rectangles over the area which need to be redacted.  once I do this however, the data still exists beneath the rectangles.

I attempted "refrying" the pdf by printing it to a new pdf.  This seemed to flatten the black rectangles so that they were no longer able to be selected as objects, HOWEVER, when I scroll down through the document I can still see the underlying data as the black rectangles seem to flicker as the page is scrolling.

Is there a way to basically fuse down the black rectangles so that they fully replace the data they are covering?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Redaction requires total obliteration of the content, not simply “placing black rectangles over the area which need to be redacted.” The text objects and any metadata associated with same must be totally removed from the PDF file.

Acrobat Pro provides this function explicitly allowing you to mark what must be redacted then actually doing the redaction!

No, “refrying PDF” won't do a proper redaction job and for that matter is strongly discouraged in terms of other nasty side effects in the resultan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Redaction requires total obliteration of the content, not simply “placing black rectangles over the area which need to be redacted.” The text objects and any metadata associated with same must be totally removed from the PDF file.

Acrobat Pro provides this function explicitly allowing you to mark what must be redacted then actually doing the redaction!

No, “refrying PDF” won't do a proper redaction job and for that matter is strongly discouraged in terms of other nasty side effects in the resultant PDF file.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT the right way of removing data from a PDF file. What version of Acrobat are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the FAST help with that question.  I was unaware Acrobat had that redacting function...just used it and it did exactly what I needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines