Very bad Jpg export from raw photos

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR version: 2015.8

Photos taken from Canon 1dx MII

RAW (CR2)

When I export in jpg 100% the image loose the sharpness. Why?

I want to export it to 900px wide. It seems like when I export in original size it's ok but not perfect.

It's the first time I use this camera and it's the first time I encounter this issue. With my sony a7r and fuji x100s I never had those issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Yes, I think this is caused by your retina screen.

Mac Preview, as well as web browsers will scale images to 200% on retina screens, so that their size will be similar to what it would be on a regular screen. This will affect image quality. If you import the image back into Lightroom, or view it in Photoshop at 100%, it will display correctly. On my non-retina screen the image looks perfectly all right.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture of the exported photo, zoomed 1:1.

Then show us another screen capture of the same photo in Lightroom, zoomed 1:1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's alright when I opposed them in 1:1 size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export in jpg 100% the image loose the sharpness

You mean you are setting Quality to 100?

I assume that the exported image is for web use, and you should use output sharpening for screen.

Try Sharpen for screen, Amount: Standard. That will compensate for the reduced sharpness caused by downsampling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how it looks on LR and once it is exported in Jpg at 100% quality. By uploading those images I realised that it's maybe due to Apple preview combined with retina screens. But I've never had this issue before. If you look closer to the zebra patterns you can spot the difference.

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 20.21.14.pngA43I2480.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I think this is caused by your retina screen.

Mac Preview, as well as web browsers will scale images to 200% on retina screens, so that their size will be similar to what it would be on a regular screen. This will affect image quality. If you import the image back into Lightroom, or view it in Photoshop at 100%, it will display correctly. On my non-retina screen the image looks perfectly all right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines