• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page Limits on PDFs

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many pages can you combine into 1 large PDF? Size of file is not a problem. Have 124 files that need to be combined into 1 PDF with a total of 992 pages. Have run into this problem before but just can't remember or find the simple answer.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

There is a big difference between the question of how many pages you can combine into a PDF file versus any limits of how many pages PDF can accommodate in a single PDF file.

In terms of the question of how many pages a single PDF file can contain, there is no set limit. I've personally created files of close to 200,000 pages and half a gigabyte in size without any problem whatsoever. (This was done with InDesign with the XMPie plug-ins, creating PDF/VT files!)

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat (Pro for sure, Standard maybe) simply combine the PDFs. You may want to do in steps rather than all 124 at one go (a less robust desktop might bog down).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize such a large file would probably bog down the system. However, in the past when I was working on parking passes there was a limit on pages. Could this be an InDesign issue or does it even matter now with the newer versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a big difference between the question of how many pages you can combine into a PDF file versus any limits of how many pages PDF can accommodate in a single PDF file.

In terms of the question of how many pages a single PDF file can contain, there is no set limit. I've personally created files of close to 200,000 pages and half a gigabyte in size without any problem whatsoever. (This was done with InDesign with the XMPie plug-ins, creating PDF/VT files!)

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did once prove to myself that Distiller could distill, and Acrobat could open, a one million page file. It did work, but the experience had little to recommend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I don't recommend it either just needed a direct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

When I try with adobe pro to edit forms in a file with 242 pages, it bogs down (like in other comments) I can only do it in a small number of pages. I am doing that edit to find a faster way to split that file of 242 pages in 126 files, all with different number of pages. Rather than bookmarking each first page of what is going to be each individual file, I would like to be able to do it all by a key field and develop a vba to use on other files. Or IT may hate me by asking to pull me each individual file based on the key field from the database, I have no access whatsoever to the reports I need, or it would be much easier for me. Hope someone can open my eyes on something I may not be seeing. Thank you. Mariana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using Adobe pro and the program won't allow more than 7 pages to scan into a file. scan. Is there a way to set the number of pages higher? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines