• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I manage to import an Apple's Aperture Library in Lightroom ? "Import" Button is inactivated ?

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

I use a MacBook Pro retina under Mac OS.X.Sierra (last Apple Version)

And Lightroom latest update 2015.8

As I do need to use now Lightroom instead of Apple'a Aperture. It was convenient for me until now.

I have an Extra or a Plug-in to import Aperture whole Library with the infos related to each of my 22.000 pictures and graphics.

So I was to do so...

Lightroom : File > External modules or Extras > Import from Aperture Library...

I've selected Aperture Library item

I've chosen which folder will content the Masters and so on

I have a look to the Options...

I have to mention I use an external Drive for My Pictures. A good one ! So I do want to use the same for LightroomMasters

And I was ready for a quite long night.

BUT the IMPORT button is gray and non functional !

What else ... Must I Do !

Thank you for any support tor Idea.

Best regards,

Pascal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pascal,

Could you please refer to this article https://www.lightroomforums.net/threads/import-from-apple-photos.28551/

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Thank you. I'm connected to this forum and I've posted a question about Aperture -> Lightroom.

Best regards,

Pascal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pascal

Can you post some screenshots of the dialog boxes and the options?

What version of Aperture is installed on the computer (I assume you are still using Mac and not PC)

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thank you for your attention.

I use Aperture 3.6. I've started with 1.0. So, as Apple left it... I had to migrated my library in 2014 ?

But in other forums, information seems relevant until the end 2016.

But now it seems more difficult with my Macbook pro (mi-2012) under Mac OS X.Sierra (last version) with Lightroom 2015.8 or LR 5.7.1

As you asked me, here are two windows Lightroom 2015.8 Plug-in "Import an Aperture Library..." (It's in French...So)

Import an Aperture Library plug-in window - copie.jpg

Import an Aperture Library option window - copie.jpg

Best regards,

Pascal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - and don't worry about it being in French, Pascal, le Brexit hasn't yet happened .

One thing that is odd is that Lightroom isn't counting the photos/videos in that Aperture library or calculating disc space on that drive. I think this indicates where the problem lies. Lightroom isn't reading the library. Can you open that library in Aperture? With the masters "Copier les images/videos", do you have write access to that Lightroom Masters folder? Is it a network address - which might cause a problem.

A less important thing.... You say "I have to mention I use an external Drive for My Pictures. A good one ! So I do want to use the same for LightroomMasters". This implies that Aperture currently "references" the photos/videos, and that your library is not "managed" (I assume you understand "referenced" and "managed" in Aperture). It also implies that you want to keep your photos this way. In that case you need to tick the option "Conserver les fichiers....". Lightroom will always copy and import managed photos, but it will also do that with referenced photos if that box is unticked. You may not want all these copies, and the process will be slower. For now we should look at the main problem, but I suggest that you go back to this before you finally press Import.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again John,

I've noticed that the is no information about :

- the number of images in my Aperture Library and

- for the Disk space which will be needed.

And I wonder...

I don't know what to think about that ?

I can use still use Aperture all projects, folders are OK. And I can edit any picture. And all my images are "managed". The Aperture Library (package) is scanned by Lightroom 3-4 minutes after I've chosen it in the Import window.

BUT May be I have an answer  : I have an external home backup solution : a good NAS Cloud Drive at my brother home. But It worked until one minute as back office task. I looked in my folders and surprise  I stopped the routine of this NAS as I found a previous version of LightroomMasters folders filled with "old" pictures. I think it interfered ?

So I'm going to start over. Clean every Folders. Delete LR 2015.8 .Reinstall it. And restart from beginning. Without this Cloud Drive Station App opens.

Best regards,

Pascal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that's good. I think you may be right about the previous folder causing a problem.

Remember that Lightroom only has referenced photos and it will copy your managed photos into a date-based folder structure. But if you want a different folder structure, you can use Aperture's File > Reorganise Masters to convert the library to referenced. This would allow Lightroom to avoid copying the photos. It's your choice.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear John,

In fact as I "unplugged" the backup routine on a distant NAS,... it didn't work neither.

I was unable to import the latest contents of Aperture Lib. I redo from start but LR was unable to scan correctly the Aperture Lib to have the files informations (numbers and disk space needed).

So I took a backup of my "old" Aperture+LightRoom Migration. Perhaps one and half year's old essay.

I didn't succeed to do better. I'll need to have an eagle glance and elephant memory to complete my solution.

I thank you for your attention. And I close unfortunately this discussion.

Best regards,

Pascal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines