• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add password and keep PDF as editable? I have Adobe Acrobat Pro and in order to add a password, I have to 'print to PDF', save that document, and then add a password. That new document is no longer editable, even with the password. How do I add

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to add password and keep PDF as editable?  I have Adobe Acrobat Pro and in order to add a password, I have to 'print to PDF', save that document, and then add a password. Prior to 'printing to PDF' the 'encrypt with password' is grayed out.  So I create that new document but then the new document not editable, even with the password.  How do I add a password and keep the PDF editable?  Also, is there a way to add the password without 'printing to PDF' (the 'encrypt with password' is grayed out until after I 'print to PDF')?  Thank you

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically you should be able to do it with the original file, but maybe it was created using LiveCycle Designer or has some other kind of protection already applied to it that is preventing you from applying the security policy to it. It's hard to say for sure without seeing the actual file.

When you "re-fry" it (ie, send it to the Adobe PDF printer) you're basically creating a new, flat version of the file, which is why you can then apply the security policy, but it's not a recommended way of doing things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.  I don't know how the original file was created, and I think we have this problem with several PDF files, not just this one.  But this particular file is downloaded from the IRS website and then we use Adobe to fill in the blanks.  I don't know what that might mean or if the IRS uses a certain type of file and uploads those to its website 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding a password from File > Properties -- Security. Change Security Method from None to Password Security. What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Test Screen Name.  I did what you suggested and got an error that read : "You cannot change security on this document because the document is signed or certified."  The error doesn't make any sense to me because it isn't signed.  And I don't think its certified (not sure what 'certified' means though).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Save a Copy appears in the File menu, try that. Then close the file and open the copy instead. Maybe you can set security now. If you wish to return this to the IRS thrn I advise against this action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, but Saving a Copy and then trying to adding a password doesn't work.  And even if it did, its just as much of a hassle as 'printing to PDF'.

No I'm not returning to the IRS in a digital format.  I'm just explaining where this particular form came from incase someone understands what format it might have been created in.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You closed the file and opened the copy before trying to add the password? probably the file is Reader Extended and this is normal because that's a signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, again - thank you for your reply but I think you may have missed my point.  I don't want to make a copy.  I want to be able to add a password to the document I already have.  Making a copy is too arduous.  If that isn't possible then 'print to PDF' will have to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "Save A Copy" command is used to remove the current rights applied to the file. And it is a much better approach then "re-frying" the file (ie, sending it to the Adobe PDF printer), and much faster, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines