• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector Image as Frame

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm relatively new to InDesign so hopefully this isn't a redundant question but i'm looking to use vector image of a cog with a transparent center as a frame for pictures of students. I know the same effect could be done using layers but I was wondering if I could use an image as the frame for content just to make everything a little cleaner and give me more options.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

I believe that the cog is what's called a compound path. So the image is being pasted into the compound object, resulting in what you see.

Try selecting the cog with the Selection (black arrow) tool and choose Object > Paths > Release Compound Path. Then select the inner circle and paste into that. To move everything together, you'll need to select the inner path, the outer path, and the image and choose Object > Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done either by creating the vector shape directly in InDesign, or creating it in Illustrator and pasting it into InDesign.

(You may have to tinker with your clipboard handling preferences to get this to work, and it works best with simple vectors)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i'm looking to use vector image of a cog with a transparent center as a frame for pictures of students

Make sure your Clipboard Handling Preference has Prefer PDF When Pasting unchecked.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 3.15.12 PM.png

Copy and paste the vector object:

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 3.13.58 PM.png

And with it selected choose Place and choose the image

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 3.14.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You very much for your response but if I follow the steps above It just applies the image to the vector object instead of inside it. Ive included pictures so you can see what the image looks like.

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 9.34.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-24 at 9.36.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that the cog is what's called a compound path. So the image is being pasted into the compound object, resulting in what you see.

Try selecting the cog with the Selection (black arrow) tool and choose Object > Paths > Release Compound Path. Then select the inner circle and paste into that. To move everything together, you'll need to select the inner path, the outer path, and the image and choose Object > Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That you very much! This solution was exactly what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, that is because the gear shape is a compound path. Instead of placing into the gear, why not make an under layer where the gear is step-and-repeated. Then make an upper layer, where the students picture is placed into a circle frame that sits precisely over the gear. The overall effect would look the same.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also be able to release the compound path when the object is selected via Object>Paths>Release Compound Path. Then you will be able to group the inner and outer paths and place the image in the inner circle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the other solutions, you can save a path in photoshop. Use this as clipping path and convert it with right mouse click in InDesign's context menu to a frame. If you want to combine an image with a frame, it is the most exactly way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines