• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to intersect 2 layers in 2 places during puppet tool animation?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm just starting to learn After Effects for animation purposes after switching from OpenToonz. So far the program is great but I found one problem that I can't solve on my own or find any solution of the internet (or even properly describe in English words since English is not my first language).

Let's visualise the problem with 2 lines on different layers that intersect with each other in 2 points:

AE1.PNG

I would like the green line to be above the blue line on the bottom intersection but at the same time I want the blue line to be above the green one on the top intersection just like this:

AE2.PNG

I know I can achieve this using Track Matte by creating a layer with upper half of the blue line that works as a invert matte mask for the green line (that's how I made it in the image above).

The problem occurs when I want to animate the blue line using puppet tool. The layer that is the source for track matte stays in the same place!

AE3.PNG

I don't know how can I make the mask layer follow the transformation of the blue line. In OpenToonz is was easy because I could simply apply one mesh to multiple layers but I don't such option in After Effects.

Or is there any other way I can make the blue line remain at the top of green line in the upper intersection at the whole time of puppet tool animation?

I also tried messing with the Z axis and putting blue line with the mask layer in a pre-compose but it didn't work.

I just hope the solution is something else than just frame-by-frame post processing using vector masks or something.

BTW. Eventually I want to make this using DUIK plugin but for purposes of this question I think puppet tool is enough

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Nothing stops you from using duplicate comps. It's all about structuring your work suitably and control the order of transforms, effects and actual rendering. You might also want to educate yourself on how to link e.g. Null objects using simple pick-whip expressions across comps to other items to inherit operations.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply split the lines at a suitable point into multiple layers and pin the lose ends in place. Otherwise simply pre-compose and use a single mesh.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for answer @Mylenium

Mylenium  napisaÅ‚(-a)

Simply split the lines at a suitable point into multiple layers and pin the lose ends in place.

Yeah that's what I can do. I was just wondering if this is possible to do without spiting the line in two. Eventually it will be a more complex shape than just a line, I just made a line to visualise the problem.

Mylenium  napisaÅ‚(-a)

Otherwise simply pre-compose and use a single mesh.

That would be great but I found one problem doing that. I can only use the layer above as a source for track matte. If I put the mask layer and the layer with the line into a pre-compose layer then I can't just select the mask layer from that pre-compose as a source for the track matte. OR can I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing stops you from using duplicate comps. It's all about structuring your work suitably and control the order of transforms, effects and actual rendering. You might also want to educate yourself on how to link e.g. Null objects using simple pick-whip expressions across comps to other items to inherit operations.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, so duplicate compositions or pick-whiping null objects across compositions.

Thanks @Mylenium. I hope I will find some tutorials on that ^^

I'll try it out soon and ask if there will be more troubles with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines