Exit

I need AE to automatically allign one layer after the end of another

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I've got a bit of an issue here. It's a bit complicated:

What I need done:
1. I need a few hundreds of videos, each consisting of Intro, Middle, Outro. Monthly.

2. Intro and Outro is different for each video, but it remains the same every month.
3. Middle one is the same and is prerendered.

Solution I have figured out so far:

1. Make 100 (for instance) comps. Each has intro and outro
2. Middle section would be a precomp
3. Replace video in precomp and we have it replaced across all 100 precomps

4. There should be a precomp that'll have background music. Which should fade out towards the end of outro. I'd link precomp audio volume to a slider on outro. Animate the slider and wherever the outro moves, audio fades.

Now the things I haven't figured out:
1. Middle section might be different each time. I need the outro to be aligned properly. I ultimately wish I could have the precomp length to readjust according to the audio file. I also wish I could have a marker that would realign a few frames before the end of precomp and that's where the outro would be aligned (so than it can be lifted up from beneath over the middle video)

I REALLY need help figuring this out. I had no idea how to search for any solution

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about editing and not effects. After Effects is completely the wrong tool to do this.

Import your footage into Premier Pro select the clips in the order you want them to end up in the timeline, right click and collect create new sequence from selection and then Q it up in the media encoder and move to the next one.

You will be able to do real time previews and render four or five or maybe 10 times faster than rendering from AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick first of all thakns for the response,

However, I am afraid you didn't answer my question:

in a nutshell what I'm trying to achieve is this,

1. Have 100 intros and 100 outros

2, Have one middle section
3. Tell AE or PP which video to use for middle section.
4. Have the software realign outro and audio ending

Then next month, i want to have a new middle section, tell software about the new middle section. Have it then realign outro and audio to the new middle section's end.

I assumed AE will be able to do this better because it supports scripting/automation. Can Premiere Pro realign outro section depending on how long the middle section is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP is not automated, but if it takes you more than 5 minutes to put in the intro, add the middle section, add the outro and then begin exporting, you'd need to go back to editing school.  Anyone who has any kind of editing chops would need far less time than that.

So no, the process isn't automated.  But it's really fast.  Just do it rather than agonizing over automation -- you'll waste a lot more time tilting at that particular windmill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave it takes me less than five minutes, but I'd rather spend a few hours on an automation than have a few hundred (I'm looking at around 500 I believe) adjustments done every month. 500x3minutes=1500minutes that's 25 hours of just adjusting the layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be doable using scripts in AE. The audio could be a concern, though, since fades can sound iffy in the wrong places and you'd have to make sure the audio duration is long enough in the first place.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've thought about the audio. I'd keyframe the audio fade out with the 'outro' layer. Then wherever outro moves, the fade out moves.

I haven't yet realized how to do the 'extend clip to it's fullest, move another clip to the end' or 'ripple extend clip to it's full length'
I thought scripting would help in PP, but affter taking a look it's limited to certain features, but not working with items in the timeline it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read your post. Do the job in Premiere Pro. If you want to you can write yourself a script, come up with a naming structure and a folder structure and have the script automate the assembly of rendered video clips, but you will be doing the job in AE and your renders will take four or five times longer than doing the job in Premiere Pro.

A few weeks ago I took 4 days of filming, about 20 pages of scripts, most scenes had the actors fixed up with wireless mics recording to their own individual tracks so in many of these scenes I had 6 to 8 streams of audio. There were hundreds of shots and about 4 times that many audio files. by importing in the appropriate bins in Premiere Pro, shift selecting the individual scenes and creating a sequence for each scene, then shift selecting the appropriate audio tracks and dragging them into PPro I had the entire 4 days of filming ready to sync the audio and do the first edit in about an hour and a half. I used a 3rd party solution to sync up each of the audio tracks with the video tracks instead of using the slate or messing with timecode. Every scene, every take was ready for review and comments in less than 2 hours.

Give me 100 different intros in a single bin and 100 outros in a second bin all properly named and a common middle section and I would click intro 001 from bin 1, Ctrl/Cmnd the common middle part from it's bin, then Ctrl/Cmnd outro 001 and choose create sequence from selection in about 15 seconds. Yes, this is a bunch of hand work, but so is writing a script.

Once you have your first 100 sequences created in Premiere Pro, providing that your first and last shots don't change, all it would take to change the middle shot in all 100 sequences would be to close Premiere Pro, move your old middle part video from it's current folder to a new one and give it a new name, then put the new middle section in the original middle section folder and make sure that it has the same name, something like Middle_Section.mov, that the first middle section video had and then open up Premiere Pro again. You're done.

I actually have done something very much like this many times in my NLE editing career. I would create something like a show open, then name each new opening title something like Feb01_open.mov, Feb02_open.mov and so on and save them into a folder called Feb Opens. Then I would copy the .mov file to the proper source folder and change the name to open.mov, open up PPro (or AVID or FCP, or even AE) and the new open would be there without any more work than renaming the file.

If you want to dive into Scripting for Premiere Pro check out this thread: SCRIPTING for Premiere Pro |Adobe Community​

Then explore the Scripting community and resources. Once you have the script written you will have to carefully follow a naming and folder structure.

I hope this helps. You will not find a pre-writen script that is this specific, but there is nothing keeping you from spending several days trying to figure out how to do if for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick that is very helpful. I didn't know Premiere had scripting possibilities.

The only reason I assume I'll need scripting is because every month's middle section will have different length. Everything else won't be a problem. Thanks

I'll look into the scripting info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines