• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a new cpu to run Premiere

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I am looking for a new cpu that would run Premiere smoothly. I am currently on windows 10 but may have to switch to a mac (have to do Apple ProRez delivery's). The Mac Pro (trash can style) is just too expensive, and the mac mini is probably too slow so I was looking at an iMac. But a lot of what the affordable models have only have is an i5 processor. Would Premiere still run smoothly with something like that especially if I am editing 4k footage. Any advice would really be appreciated.

[Moved to the Hardware Forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CPU is the processor.

Do you mean that you need a new computer or a new processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New CPU..I am currently on windows....but now a lot of my deliveries are now going to be apple prorez so I will need to work on a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are keeping the same computer, but just want to change the processor in that computer to one that you can run when you install the Mac operating system on that same computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I just want to get a brand new computer. I do not want to change my pc internals to mac internals. I do not know how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whats your budget and would you be ok with proxy editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 2000 dollars budget but no on proxy editing.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the i5 cpu isn't going to be very good for 4k, it would be ok for HD/1080p. there is a 21" imac with an i7 cpu, but it only has the intel graphics, no amd or nvidia which are more powerful for video editing. so if you want to go the mac route, you may need to look for a used 27" imac with an i7 and R9 M295X 4gb or M395X 4gb. even the i7 in the imac may struggle if doing complex timelines with heavily compressed media.

its possible to custom order a new i7 6-core pc for around $2k that would be more powerful, but then you would have to figure out how to get the final file(s) as prores. there are some third party programs/plugins that offer prores encoding for windows, but most of those seem to be custom encoders with compatibility issues and not the real prores codec from apple. another solution would be to buy a cheap mac, new or used for $500-1k or less, and use it to transcode the final file(s) to prores for delivery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats what I kinda figured. That I5 kind worried me. That cheap mac is what I have been doing now but that cheap mac is starting to go.   Its really too bad PC's can't make a true ProRez file with to us of a custom encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines