• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign-how to apply gradient to text on circular path?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a circle, with text running around the outer edge of the circle (text on a path). I want the bottom half of my letters to be yellow, and the top half of my letters to be orange. But the gradients (even the circular one) won't colorize the text on the path the way I want them to. Does anyone know how to make this work? Here is the example of what I want the gradient to look like (done in Photoshop; I am converting to vector shape, and have been successful except for the lettering in the border):

TSG-Logo-sample-for-fathead.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

You can select the lettering with the text tool, and then add a gradient that starts from the center of the path, with a sharp dropoff near the end. Like this:

Screenshot 2017-02-24 13.44.27.png Screenshot 2017-02-24 13.44.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select the lettering with the text tool, and then add a gradient that starts from the center of the path, with a sharp dropoff near the end. Like this:

Screenshot 2017-02-24 13.44.27.png Screenshot 2017-02-24 13.44.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping! I am baffled because I have done exactly what you showed me -- and I don't get the same result.  Below is what happens when I try the gradient as you described. Can you tell what I am doing wrong? Because your result is exactly what I am trying to achieve!  😃

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 5.28.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I am wrong and there is no need to convert to outlines first. But like SJRiegel showed, make the gradient happen in a tight space. When you use the gradient tool to apply the gradient, you'll still want to start the center of the gradient at the center of the circle. So draw with the gradient tool from the very center and let go somewhere along the height of the letters. Make sure you have a radial gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ-Designer  wrote

Thank you for helping! I am baffled because I have done exactly what you showed me -- and I don't get the same result.…

Hi PJ-Designer,

do like Erica already said.

Here a step-by-step description:

1. Select your text on the path.

2. Apply the gradient using the Swatches panel.

3. Change the active tool T to the Gradient tool G

4. Draw with the Gradient tool from the center of your circle a bit beyond the radius of your circle.

To the height of your text perhaps.

After you did this:

Do not change the diameter of your circle.

Do not scale your circle.

Both actions would/could change the appearance of the applied gradient.

Note: Drawing with the Gradient tool will override the formatting of your applied paragraph style.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay -- it takes a village! The step-by-step directions showed me where I was erring. I was trying to use the feather gradient tool, not the gradient tool to apply the gradient. It works!!

One more thing -- the final output of this gradient technique will be an EPS file for enlarging up to 3x the created size. Will the gradient "hold"? I'm concerned about the caution to not scale the circle.

Thanks so much!

Pauline

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 5.14.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pauline,

the gradient will hold if you export to PDF, EPS or other formats.

But it may not hold if you scale the circle on an InDesign page.

It depend of your preferences with scaling:

Scaling-TwoPrefs-Two-Results.png

Talking about EPS:
If you absolutely have to export to EPS—a graphic format of the late 20th century—use the options for PostScript 3 ( introduced 1997 ). Better would be an export to PDF. PDF/X-4 perhaps.

But ask the one who is demanding EPS.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also question the necessity of an EPS file. I run into that from time to time, but find the only people who really need an EPS are embroiderers with software that demands it. And even those requests may be out of date, but I'm not familiar enough with that workflow to protest. Printing? EPS seems dubious these days (i.e., this century, as Uwe pointed out). Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't use EPS!

It causes too many problems and is a redundant file type that should only be created if sending to very old systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option might be to convert your text to outlines in InDesign, then fill with a radial gradient. (Select the bounding box and apply the gradient to the fill). Make the gradient "tight" on one end, meaning start the color way along the ramp and have the gradient live in a small space that fits your text.

GradientTEMP.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Backing up Erica Gamet and Eternal Warrior​'s concerns—this is a very interesting article published here a few months ago:

EPS – the Zombie among file formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines