• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere elements 15 not recognising .MOV files, Why?

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to add a .MOV file from my NIKON D5300 I get a 'generic error' message. I have read elsewhere that these files require a codec to be recognised by Premiere elements 15? correct or not?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a long time video editing software has taken advantage of codecs installed with Quicktime.  Adobe is no exception.  They are gradually moving away from it, but it still pops up as needed sometimes.

Apple has stopped supporting Quicktime for windows so some feel there is a security risk.  The solution is an option when installing Quicktime that only installs the support files, not the (.exe) program itself. 

Find Quicktime with a Google search and install it.  Your problem should disappear.

Good luck!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link to Quicktime 7.

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

Meantime make sure that you're using Add Media to add video to your project -- NOT File/Open.

BTW, your camcorder shoots at a variety of resolutions and frame rates. Which settings are you using?

You may want to ensure the settings for your project are matching those specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill & Steve.

Thanks for your responses. I have tried and am still having problems though not to all the files. I then remembered that some of the files and it appears to be the ones causing the problem have been through a recovery process. I recall accidentally deleting some files and I had to recover them from the SD card using Recuva file recovery software from Piriform. All the files are there but I am having problems opening them with any software after recovery. I know this problem sits outside of the Adobe umbrella, so I understand if no one can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOV having H264 coded content inside that container seem to be supported even without quicktime installed.

At least from my Canon cameras.

So your recovery process is probably not succeding.

Or does it play in other players - on pc - or from SD-card or usb-drive if you have a player supporting that?

From your comment it seems you tried that, but many software players are buggy in comparison to standalone players..

If a general problem, just record a short clip of video again and put into PRE - and it will tell you.

On my Canon cameras they recommend always formatting SD cards with camera formatting.

They mention you may have some performance issues if not.

So if having general issues, maybe format card by camera.

But sadly it seems you might have lost those videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All the files are there but I am having problems opening them with any software after recovery. I know this problem sits outside of the Adobe umbrella, so I understand if no one can help.

They might be lost for ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines