Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D: assymetrical object extrusion advice needed

Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D beginner, only my 2nd project.

I'm trying to created 3 different 3D vibrators in Photoshop for a school project ad, using some paths I drew. The first two are symmetrical and not a problem, the third is an issue as the path doesn't extrude correctly as i drew it and the Lynda.com tute I'm using doesn't address how a 3D art like this would be created.

Is there an easy way to get the 3D shape I'm after using the path I already created for it (below)? Or would the best process be to create it symmetrical path, extrude it and then warp it after? If so, how exactly (using what tools) can I warp it to the correct shape?

Attached jpg has a clipping path that should be available if the forum doesn't strip it away - should someone heroic want to take a shot at it (and send the psd!)

Also -

Any recommendations for how you'd approach this? (eg. best way to add color to sections)

It appears PS can only work with one 3D model at at time?

Screen shot 2017-02-26 at 2.03.54 AM.png

Actual photos:
Screen shot 2017-02-26 at 1.43.41 AM.png
Art so far, 3 separate docs:
3 extrusions.png
Path i made:
Screen shot 2017-02-26 at 1.45.53 AM.png

jpg with clipping path:

vibe_curvy_w_clip_path.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS doesn't have any deformers nor does it have extrusions along paths, so what you want is essentially not possible in PS. It's too limited for this stuff. It can work with multiple meshes inside the same document, though. For anything else you might want to stop wasting time and learn a real 3D program. Blender is free, after all and then even things like coloring sections differently based on tagged polygon selections is totally a non-issue just as would be physically splitting up the meshes so they can be impoirted separately.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thanks.

I'm in a Photoshop class & this is part of my final project, which includes PS video & PS animation, why I'm trying to learn & posting here.

btw - Here's what Deke McClelland is tutoring to make on Lynda.com

Screen shot 2017-02-26 at 11.49.40 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines