• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print Profile Problem

Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a recipe book for a client and we are just about to do a test print of a section and I've run into a bit of a problem.

The photos for the book have all been edited in Photoshop in an RGB workspace and then placed into the CMYK print Indesign file (as RGB files). The problem that I have run into is that when I have gone to export the file to a PDF for printing the images have all become washed out - even the black text created in InDesign is faded.

When I exported to PDF I adjusted the output to the correct printer profile - given to me by our printing company, who specifically asked for the file to be CMYK. I have also converted to destination and selected the preserve numbers option.

We haven't printed the test section yet but I was hoping somebody would be able to tell me if the pictures are going to appear as they are on the PDF on my screen (washed out?), or whether when printed the colour will appear correct? If not, will all of the photos need to be re-edited in the correct CMYK printer profile workspace in photoshop before being added to the InDesign file?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Henry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could package the InDesign file and send it to your printers and get them to produce the PDF and send that back to you for checking before printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I exported to PDF I adjusted the output to the correct printer profile - given to me by our printing company, who specifically asked for the file to be CMYK.

Make sure the printer's suggested CMYK profile is assigned to your document via Edit>Assign Profiles... (don't assume Color Settings can be used to make the assignment for an existing document).

Also make sure the placed RGB files have profiles assigned, the Links info panel will show the assigned profile for selected images. Before you export, turn on Overprint Preview, which will preview or soft proof how RGB color will be converted to CMYK either at export or when the PDF is output. If your RGB color is not in the CMYK gamut the shift in color appearance will depend on the profile—uncoated and newsprint profiles have a narrower color gamut than coated profiles, and that will show with Overprint Preview turned on

If the printer is expecting an all CMYK PDF, use the PDF/X-4 preset with the Output>Color Destination set to Document CMYK, which should now be your printer's suggested profile. When you export to Document CMYK, Convert to Destination and Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers) will produce the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! I've tried all of this but unfortunately the pictures are still very grey and washed out. Does this mean the photos need to be converted to the correct CMYK print profile in Photoshop and then re-edited to make the colour more vibrant and correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the color shift the same way when you turn on Overprint Preview in ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It fades slightly in the overprint preview but when i go to proof it fades dramatically as per the exported PDFs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always work in RGB and let InDesign, via PDF, do the CMYK conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if the printer's profile is assigned to the document don't use Proof colors, Overprint Preview shows the accurate soft proof. You only use Proof Colors if you want to preview output on some other device.

If you are exporting using the default PDF/X-4 preset with the destination set to DocumentCMYK the preview in AcrobatPro should match ID's. Which version of AcrobatPro are you using? What's the profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines