Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

first time user with two embarassing questions

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

First time user - I've tried to find the answers to these two questions but I haven't managed.  apologies if they are silly / obvious.

I have just bought the full CC subscription - I need Illustrator and inDesign - but since I have the rest.  well I might as well have a look at this other nice stuff.  I currently have all my worldly photos on my hard drive / tidy them up with Picassa + I push them all up to Flickr which is pretty horrible - partly because my phone uploads to Flickr and you can't batch download back onto the PC (easily).  So this lightroom software:

- I says it is Lightroom 5 on the Creative Cloud Apps page / and has it listed under a "previous versions" tab - I thought there was a separate Lightroom CC?

- You clever Lightroom users - what overall set up do you use?  I would quite like to push all my photos into the cloud - but it seems that LR is just a local PC application + all photo changes are not on the basic files.  Do you: (1) keep all your files on the PC; (2) transform / edit them; (3) make a copy of EVERYTHING somewhere; then (4) sync into some cloud storage?  i.e. what does the good Lightroom user do generally?

Sorry if its a vague question - if I'm going to tidy up my photo life I'd just like to get all the components right

Cheers

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

- I says it is Lightroom 5 on the Creative Cloud Apps page / and has it listed under a "previous versions" tab - I thought there was a separate Lightroom CC?

The only reason you would have Lightroom 5 listed is if your operating system is 32bits, and thus the newer versions of Lightroom (which are named Lightroom CC) cannot be installed on your computer. If you have a 64bit operating system, you should not be seeing Lightroom 5.

- You clever Lightroom users - what overall set up do you use?  I wou

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason you would have Lightroom 5 listed is if your operating system is 32bits, and thus the newer versions of Lightroom (which are named Lightroom CC) cannot be installed on your computer. If you have a 64bit operating system, you should not be seeing Lightroom 5.

- You clever Lightroom users - what overall set up do you use?  I would quite like to push all my photos into the cloud - but it seems that LR is just a local PC application + all photo changes are not on the basic files.  Do you: (1) keep all your files on the PC; (2) transform / edit them; (3) make a copy of EVERYTHING somewhere; then (4) sync into some cloud storage?  i.e. what does the good Lightroom user do generally?

Lightroom is a local PC application, and the original photos must be located on a local or networked disk. However, Lightroom was designed to make it relatively easy to share your edited photos somewhere on the Internet. There are many ways to do this. If you have Lightroom CC, photos in your collections can be shared in the cloud (but the original photos are NOT stored in the cloud) via Lightroom Mobile (an integral part of Lightroom CC). In addition, there are publish services that can push the edited copies of your photos to services like Flickr, 500px, and similar. There is no need for your step (3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What/which operating system are you using and is it 64bit.

LR CC needs a 64bit OS to install and run. If you are using a 32bit OS then then you can only use LR 5.

Let work on getting you to LR CC 2015.8 before we go into how the rest of us use LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wow.  wonderful and very helpful answers.  thank you.  right - I can sort out the operating system.  I have flickr but I don't like it - I'll look at some of the other listed options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines