• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D Painting - Is it possible to merge layer adjustments onto a 3d model?

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to use a curves adjustment projected through a layer mask onto a 3d model.  I can get the effect I want in the 3d window using a masked adjustment layer, but when I merge the adjustment layer down onto the 3d layer, the effect disappears.  Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your description it seems to work as it is supposed to. Sounds like you are adjusting the rendered output, not the actual texture, which are two completely different things.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the quick response!  Here's where my confusion comes in...

I can make a gradient on a layer and merge it down onto the model...

2017-02-26_1413.png

2017-02-26_1414.png

But if I try to get the same effect with a masked curves adjustment layer, the effect doesn't drop when merged...

2017-02-26_1414_001.png

2017-02-26_1415.png

I'd like to do this in 3d and not 2d space as the model I'm working on has multiple textures mapped to it and I want to apply the effect seamlessly across border edges.

If this is possible, I'd love to know how to do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you applying this adjustment above a rendered 3D layer or against the un-rendered preview?

If you want to apply a curve to the actual texture - then Edit the texture. In the properties for that material click on the small folder next to Diffuse and then Edit Texture. It will open as a .psb file with a UV overlay showing how the model is unfolded on that texture. You can apply layers, adjustments and smart objects in it as you can any other .psb. To preview the effect just save it and switch back to the 3D window.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines