• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create more than 9 headings in InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am desperately trying to create a document where I need a lot of headings and subheadings. This is a project that needs categorizing and the 9 heading limit is making it impossible for me to create the project, please help!!!

Discussion successfully moved from The Lounge to InDesign

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What nine heading limit are you referring to? You can have as many styles as you’d like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a screenshot if possible so that we can better help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 3.40.26 PM.png

Ok, I am illiterate when it comes to translating features in indesign. I bought indesign with the intention of transitioning my project to a web format at some point. With that said, I've started using Word for drafting my project. A project that is based on a "categorization type format". I started getting frustrated because Word does not allow more than 9 subheadings. I need way more than 9 subheadings to be able to continue my project and I don't know what else to do. I need advice on how to create more than 9 subheadings in indesign.

If you look at the example above (which is in word) you'll see that TIGHT-KNIT & SENTENCE share the same number heading, that is, they are bot heading 1. TIGHT-KNIT should be heading one and SENTENCE heading 2. and everything else below should be SUBHEADINGS of the main heading TIGHT-KNIT. EXAMPLE 1.1 is heading 9, which is all word allows, but I needed to be heading 10...not possible. Hopefully my explanation makes sense. I really appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is not the right choice of application for "transitioning" your content to web. Have a look at Muse (or Dreamweaver).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, however, that does not answer my question. You proposition is another solution to my many issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you using Bullets and Numbering to create these layers (or is it a Table of Contents)? You are, indeed, limited to only 9 levels in bullets and numbering. Unless someone has a workaround that I'm not familiar with...or a script?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by transitioning from the web...what is your workflow? What are you trying to accomplish? But it looks like ID might not be the right tool, if nothing else because of the level limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a thought at this early stage in the morning but have you considered using multiple paragraph styles (with or without) Bullets for each style?

In other words have each style based off each other and then just increase the indent and bullet indent as and when desired?

Or is this for a Table of Contents? If so then perhaps i'm still confused about the end goal workflow and why 10 levels+ is required?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started getting frustrated because Word does not allow more than 9 subheadings.

As per Bob, there is no limit to the number of subheads:

InDesign CCss_004.png

Is Erica correct that you are referring to Bullets and Numbering? 

Or are the triangles levels that need to expand and collapse like bookmarks in Acrobat/Reader?

I think it's safe to say we are all confused by the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have considered having multiples of heading level ones and multiples of heading level threes, etc? Is there a reason you needed nine? Adobe usually only allows for what most screen readers like Jaws read up to which is a max of Heading level six. I have multiple heading level ones and twos in my InDesign files and order those tags inside the Structure Panel to control the reading order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines