• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import from another catalog loses keywords

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two catalogs, one containing video, and the other photos and I would like to merge them. Reading instructions on various sites, the easiest way is to open one catalog and use"import from another catalog" form the file menu. This bring in the correct files but all keywords and ratings are missing. Is there a way of merging two catalogs while maintaining all keywords?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

First, let's try if an upgrade to the latest 2015.9 fixes the issue.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ShawWellPete,

We have tried doing the same at our end. Imported couple of image from one to another catalog and its imported the keywords along with it, therefore you may need to check your workflow. refer: How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom catalogs, or apps such as iPhoto in Li...

You can export the keywords out from the first catalog and import into another, this may be sound stupid but you can this and check if that helps.

To export all exportable keywords from the catalog, choose Metadata > Export keywords, select a location for the keywords file, and then click Save

To import keywords into the catalog, choose Metadata > Import Keywords, navigate to and select the text file or catalog file containing keywords, and then click Open (Windows) or Choose (Mac OS)

Refer: How to use keywords in Lightroom

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit, thanks for taking the time to answer. This is very strange and there appears to be something with my catalog(s) that stops the correct process happening.

I have two portfolios that originally came from one, but the location of the content wasn't where I wanted it. I wanted all the video in one external drive and it was in all sorts of places. So I

1. selected all video files and exported them as a new catalog.

2. removed the video files from the original catalog

3. renamed both catalogs

4. organised the location of the video files in the video catalog

I then decided that having two catalogs is a bit of a pain so tried to reimport the video one into the photo one while leaving the files in the same location and the keywords and rating were not imported.

I have tried exporting the keywords from the video catalog and importing them into the photo one as you suggested and then importing the video catalog and it was the same as before. I have also tried just choosing a couple of videos when importing and the are imported without keywords or ratings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your exact version of LR and your OS?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015.8 build 1099473

OS 10.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, let's try if an upgrade to the latest 2015.9 fixes the issue.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems to be working fine now after the upgrade, thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines