• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Morphing between two shapes (paths) imported from AI

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get a black shape to change into another shape using paths for each shape imported from AI.  I'm nearly there but am having trouble getting the shapes to line up.  Rather than describe how I've gotten to this point, I've created a 40s video showing what I'm doing, and the resulting problem.  The video is here:

After Effects problem: morphing between two shapes - YouTube

I have also included all my source material - the AE project and the AI file.  You can find that here:

Index of /d/AEForum

I'm trying to re-create the start of the Archer opening credits as shown here:

Archer Title Sequence - YouTube

It's just an exercise - just something I'm doing to learn AI and AE.  At the end of the problem video you can see the final shape has moved.  When the path from the first shape was copied, it moved.  I can't figure out why.  I need the shape (the plane) to be in the same position.  I can't simply drag the plane back where it came from, as this moves the clock hand out of place.  There are no position properties for the two paths...it appears that I will have to manually move each vertex of the plane's path back where it came from individually, which is certain to be time consuming and error prone..surely this isn't necessary and that there is a better way?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016
At the end of the problem video you can see the final shape has moved.  When the path from the first shape was copied, it moved. 

select the path and move it into place. make sure you move the path, not the position. you need to select the path property in order to do that.

it appears that I will have to manually move each vertex of the plane's path back where it came from individually, which is certain to be time consuming and error prone..surely this isn't necessary and that there is a better

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the end of the problem video you can see the final shape has moved.  When the path from the first shape was copied, it moved. 

select the path and move it into place. make sure you move the path, not the position. you need to select the path property in order to do that.

it appears that I will have to manually move each vertex of the plane's path back where it came from individually, which is certain to be time consuming and error prone..surely this isn't necessary and that there is a better way?

of course not. you need to make sure the first vertex is in the same place. read here: http://www.provideocoalition.com/managing_moving_masks/ it's about masks but the behavior is the same for any path shape. mask interpolation is also for masks but if you need to, you can copy your shape path into a mask and use it, then revert back or not. more about first vertex here: Managing and animating shape paths and masks in After Effects

you can also use our Ae's community's guru Rick Gerard method of blending shapes in Ai using the blend tool and importing them as a sequence: Morph in Illustrator - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much Roei Tzoref, this was definitely it.  A little embarrassing to be honest - I thought I had already tried this but when I tried it again this fixed my problem.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clueless,

Did you solve your issue with Roei's response? Please let us know!

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines