• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS vs Lr Develop Module

Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lr for 2 yrs now & just recently upgraded to CC which has PS & Camera Raw. Are all the develop module controls in Lr the same as Camera Raw? Is one more powerful &/or have better range then the other? Pros & Cons if anyone has any....Thx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

I do not use LR however LR and ACR use the sane Adobe RAW conversion Engine.  However, the User Interface for setting the controls for the conversion are different.   However, Lightroom's  Develop module is built into Lightroom therefore only used in Lighroom.  Where ACR is a Plugin and Filter. It Can be used in Bridge, Photoshop and other Adobe Products.   When You Open a RAW image developed in Lighroom From Lightroom into Photoshop it is opened via the ACR Plug-in with Lighroom's RAW conversio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use LR however LR and ACR use the sane Adobe RAW conversion Engine.  However, the User Interface for setting the controls for the conversion are different.   However, Lightroom's  Develop module is built into Lightroom therefore only used in Lighroom.  Where ACR is a Plugin and Filter. It Can be used in Bridge, Photoshop and other Adobe Products.   When You Open a RAW image developed in Lighroom From Lightroom into Photoshop it is opened via the ACR Plug-in with Lighroom's RAW conversion Setting.  In Photoshop they can only be changed using ACR  user  interface.  You also can not pass your Photoshop work layers back to Lightroom for it does not support layers.  You can  pass  back a composite layer lightroom can use though. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your insight, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, ACR and Lightroom Develop are identical.

However, to work seamlessly together the two need to be in version sync at all times. If one falls behind, the other can't correctly interpret the settings, because they may mean different things or not be there at all. The Lightroom > Photoshop path will still work, but instead of the seamless flow via ACR, you'll be presented with workaround options.

So if you have a perpetual Lightroom license, you will at some point need to uninstall that and install the CC version, from the CC app.

Also note that Lightroom stores all settings in a central database, the catalog. To store your Lr edits so that ACR can read them, they also need to be written to the file header or a sidecar file. In Lightroom, you do this by pressing ctrl + S, or the menu item "Save metadata to file". You can set this permanently in the prefs, but it slows Lightroom down a bit and you may not want that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thought to throw into the mix—I run an Adobe CC User Group and we are lucky enough to have not one but two LR/PS workflow experts who live in the area. They have both given presentations on what you should do in Lightroom, when you need to head over to Photoshop, and what happens when you return to Lightroom after the Photoshop edits. These presentations have been some of the most popular with our members, because the workflow isn't as intuitive as it could be.

Luckily, they have each written books on the LR/PS workflow, so anyone can learn their workflow:

Lesa Snider: Adobe Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC for Photographers Classroom in a Book: Lesa Snider: 978013428861...

Jan Kabili: Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for Photographers Classroom in a Book: Jan Kabili: 9780133816716: Amaz...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't CC give you Lightroom if you want to keep using it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does, I was just wondering if one was more powerful &/or better then the other when it comes to post processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the type of processing. As a simple example, color corrections are often handled in Lightroom, but you need to head over to Photoshop for compositing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for your input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Photoshop can do editing that Lightroom  can not do so in that respect Photoshop is a more full feature image editor. If Lightroom could do the editing that Photoshop can there would be no reason that Lightroom would need to use any other image editor for it could do a editing job.   Photoshop Does not have a library systems like Lightroom has to organize your image assets and Bridge organization is not as good as Lightroom's.  Photoshop can do any image editing that you do in Lighroon using a different UI.  ACR UI not Lighroom's Develop UI.  Most Lightroom users write they can work faster in a more intuitive way and get the job done faster and better using Lightrooms Develop UI. I do not use Lightroom and have no opinion on that subject. For many Lightroom is indispensable and some of them do not use Photoshop at all.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love Lr & since I began using it 2 yrs ago I've really learned to use it to my full advantage for real estate photography. I've really surprised myself, actually taken some not so good images & produced good image quality. Thanks for your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the question here was Lightroom vs. ACR 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS vs Lr Develop Module

If the quest here is "Lightroom vs. ACR " that has also been answered "same with different UI".

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's what I love about this forum, ask one question & it usually leads to other things you weren't aware of & puts into perspective I always walk away learning more then what I asked about. Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines