Copied

I need to prepare images for print.

When changing to 300 DPI,

Do I deselect Resample?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Thanks everyone for the immense help. More questions coming your way soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you want to enlarge the image, but beware it will soften the image as it does this my sampling adjacent pixels. If you have a large image then leave it unticked and it will increase the resolution and reduce the image dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is for billboard..to be enlarged from 10 to 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's for a large poster that's to be viewed from a distance it doesn't need to be 300ppi, it can be much lower, say even 20ppi. Maybe your printer is suggesting 300ppi because they intend to enlarge it themselves (and therefore reduce the ppi).

I suggest you have another chat with your printer to clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, yeah, talked to them, they said 300 ppi + keep resample on. My file is now 200plus MB @ 300ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a matter of interest, what are the dimensions on your original image (in pixels) and what are the dimensions of the poster (in inches or cm)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2000 x 1900 px

the other 3500 x 2950 px

Final poster full scale: 1200 x 300 cm

Designing at 10%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps someone can check my arithmetic, but I calculate that the Photoshop image would be something like 142000 x 35,000px giving a file size if 5Gb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think i need it that big, or am i wrong? 5 GB????? Thats humongous. Are u sure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1200 x 300 cm = 472x 118 inches

472 x 300 = 141600

118 x 300 = 35400

141600 x 34400 = 5012640000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek is absolutely right - you need to talk to your printer again.

It's actually slightly worse in terms of file size. Derek's calculation is the pixel size 5Gpx - given that each pixel is 3 bytes for RGB (or 4 if CMYK) that gives an uncompressed file size of 14GB (19GB for CMYK) !

Unless this billboard is meant to be viewed from a few inches away you do not need 300ppi.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or even better, get a new printer!

By the way, keep your file in the RGB color mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You work in RGB so as to have the highest gamet (range of colors) and the flexibility to repurpose the image for whatever purpose. Also in some workflows its best that say an inkjet's printer's software does the conversion from RGB to CMYK or even to CMYK+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does happen that you talk to people who don't have a clue - they just "heard" that you need 300 ppi for print. But they have no idea what it actually means.

300 ppi for a billboard is a misunderstanding, period, and you can just disregard that.

For large-scale reproduction like this, involving photos, you take the ppi you get. You have that many pixels to spread over that many inches, so that's the ppi (pixels per inch) you end up with. That said, 2000 pixels won't get you far, and I would never try to use such a low-res image for anything full-scale, whether a book spread or a banner/billboard. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything below 5000 or 6000.

I don't see why you should need to work at any percentage. Photoshop can do this at full size, 1:1. It works with pixels anyway, not dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pls do mention if 300 ppi u mean effective

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual resolution is what exists in the image file before any scaling is applied. The effective resolution is the resulting PPI after scaling is applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the immense help. More questions coming your way soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to download my pictures so I'll be able to print them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

arthur22886373ytrn

tell us more please? what are you attempting? and how?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: Co-Author:Getting Colour Right
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines