Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save PSD as JPG in multiple resolutions into predefined folders

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that this still hasn't been addressed/fixed:

After I'm done retouching a photo in PS CC I want to quickly press a shortcut (F8) and then get all the different sizes (800px, 1024px, 2048px and original size) I require into predefined folders. I require them as almost every device has a different optimum display resolution.

In PS CS6 I had one action (my shortcut was F7) that would duplicate a flattened version. Then I would press my shortcut F8 which would sharpen, then resize, then sharpen again, then save a JPG (Save for Web) in the required size, go back in the protocol and do the same for the next required resolution.

Now the Save for Web is announced to get retired at some point (indicated by the LEGACY tag in the menu entry) which is terrible as the Export function can't even be recorded within an Action !!! WHY would Adobe remove a function that is not replaced properly?

Also when using the SAVE AS with the option COPY... why does it add the "COPY" suffix to the filename? It's completely unnessecary and annoying, because I have to manually change back the name every time!

It's 2017 and I can't believe that Adobe is letting their millions of users down on something super-trivial like that. SAVING A RESIZED FILE must be one of the most often performed tasks in Photoshop.

C'mon! It could be so supersimple:

Create preferencies for Quick-Export:

Resize (Fit to 800x800), apply sharpening, save JPEG to predefined location C:/800/
Resize (Fit to 1024x1024), apply sharpening, save JPEG to predefined location C:/1024/
Resize (Fit to 2048x2048), apply sharpening, save JPEG to predefined location C:/2048/

What are the resizing fractions good for? Who is going to save a file to 0,5x regardless if the picture has 2 Megapixels or 50 MP? What is the Assets folder good for besides spreading files all over the harddrives?

As I'm often creating multiple versions from every photo (for example B/W) it would be so great if rightclicking the layer to do the quick-export would create all predefined resolutions with optimized sharpening and append the layer name to the filename (example: Filename_Version1.jpg if the layername was "Version1"). The rightclick layer quick export should also factor in layers below the selected layer (maybe as an option) as sometimes semi-transparent layers only work on top of the layers below it.

Did anybody manage to create an action in PS CC like I had in CS6?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

That is easy to do with the Image Processor Pro plug-in script.  In fact you do not need to do it a shortcut whole you editing your PSD. If you save your PSD to a folder with an action that you record a Images Processor Pro step you can process all your PSD file and save the output files in folders for each of your devices.  I do that for my devices.  In fact the input image file do not all have to be PSD file  any Image File type can be processes you can has PSD Files, Jpeg Files, PNG files, Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are serious about automating such a task Actions seem inadequate, but Scripts should be able to handle that nicely, so you may want to ask for help over at

Photoshop Scripting

But maybe dial down the tone of your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a photographer so learning to program just to save multiple resized jpegs of the same file seems a bit extreme when actions get you 95% of the way. Don't you think that this would be a very useful feature in a day and time where everything needs to be resolution-optimized for computers, tablets, iPhones, etc?

It is just frustrating to see how the Adobe developers are able to program the most sophisticated algorithms, filters and features that probably almost compare to rocket science but neglect to provide a way to automatize the Quick-Export function within a recorded action.

Also why would a SAVE AS with the option AS COPY append the COPY string to the filename if the file is saved in a different directory? It just doesn't really make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you think that this would be a very useful feature in a day and time where everything needs to be resolution-optimized for computers, tablets, iPhones, etc?

I think what you get out of Photoshop largely depends on what you put in.

(edited)

If you want to post a Feature Request please post on this site:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Have you given Image Processor Pro a try yet?

ps-scripts - Browse /Image Processor Pro/v3_2 betas at SourceForge.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is easy to do with the Image Processor Pro plug-in script.  In fact you do not need to do it a shortcut whole you editing your PSD. If you save your PSD to a folder with an action that you record a Images Processor Pro step you can process all your PSD file and save the output files in folders for each of your devices.  I do that for my devices.  In fact the input image file do not all have to be PSD file  any Image File type can be processes you can has PSD Files, Jpeg Files, PNG files, Tiff file in the Input source folder.  The Input folder could even be a tree where image filetypes are ins seperated folders.

The Image Processor Pro script is a Photoshop Plug-in when installed you access via Photoshop Menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro... .  When you record using it in an Action the Plug-in records the Dialog setting you use during the recording are recorded into the Action step. When you Play the Action no dialog is displayed the recorded setting in the action step are used. However I have had Problems recording Image Processor Pro in CC 2017 when actions are used in IPP dialog.  Record the Action in a Prior Photoshop version. The will work in CC 2017.

Here is what the IPP dialog I recorded into the action.  Some 9 different sized Jpeg images are save for each Input Image file and saved in 9 different output folders one for each of mt display devices.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good of you to go into the details of this one of xbytor’s offerings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

X IPP is outstanding.  Can be used from Bridge, From Photoshop, Can processes open documents, or files selected in the Bridge or in your file system in Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack: Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I appreciate it very much.

This seems to do pretty much what is needed. So far the only thing that seems to be missing from looking at your screenshot is the sharpen function (slight presharping before and final sharping after the resize) which makes such a big difference (more punch and local contrast) when posting photos on FB and other platforms.

I just hope I'm not going to run into the problems that you talk about when recording IPP within an action.

Have a great day, Sir.

PS: It still would be great if Adobe included this functionality straight into PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you notice for every every file you want you save you can include an action you create in the process.  If you look at  the screen shot I posted you will see I do for the files I have the script save.  I do not like borders. So I include actions that make aspect ratio centered crops for the aspect ration of each display and then resized the image for the device the size I want. I do not use the IPP script's resizing options which resizes like Adobe Fit Image Plug-in and retain the image Aspect ratio.  I could use them though for my action has cropped the images for the displays Aspect Ration.  Each output file is create from a copy of the original image.  Each file produces is a single process all a created for a copy of the input document.  The Original document is not altered it is not overwritten and processing output files start with a copy of the original document  you actions work on these copies output processes are independent of each other.

However I have Problems with CC 2017 recording IPP correctly when I use actions in its dialog.  You need to record IPP action in Prior versions of Photoshop.  All version of Photoshop have bugs.

You can add sharpening. It is an impossible task for a developer to develop everything that you would want.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: It still would be great if Adobe included this functionality straight into PS.

The Photoshop team may have more resources than many other Adobe product teams but still their resources are finite.

It would seem wasteful if they invested them into features that perform what can already be achieved anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly I would love to see them fix the reported acknowledge bugs before adding more bugs.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the Illustrator team has managed to not fix a known bug for more than a decade so I do not want to complain too much about the Photoshop team. 

Though there might be bugs of a comparable age in Photoshop that just don’t affect me most of the time …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see Photoshop is any different  I have reported a bug I see in every version of Photoshop I have installed including the 12 year old CS2.  All that Adobe has done is acknowledge its a bug.  So there are bugs in Photoshop that have been in Photoshop more than a decade.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, 12 years seems like a long time to not fix a bug.

Which one is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop: Script bug resize layer back document up one history state | Photoshop Family Customer Co...

Have also submitted bugs introduces in CS 4 adjustment Panels fly-our menu so may times Adobe does not acknowledge them any more they just let then be a reported problem receive an e-mail from Tom stating he was assigned to fit the problems  but he never did.  It is a shame all that need to be done is remove the two item from the menu so they can not be change to set to change the way Photoshop works.  Action that add adjustment layers may not play the way they are recorded.  Some time they may play correctly other time the may not. Recording  action steps in CS4 that add adjustment was not changed actions that add adjust layers still record steps like Photoshop versions prior to CS4 record adding adjustment layer does not record anything about how these option are current set is recorded into the step.   So how these step will play will not always be the way they were recorded.  I know not to change these options the are not options they are more like preference that change Photoshop operation that Action and scripts can not change or even query.

Photoshop: Adjustment Panel Fly-out menu options. | Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler  wrote

It would seem wasteful if they invested them into features that perform what can already be achieved anyway.

I have to completely disagree.

100% of Photoshop users need to save their files. 99.99% will need to regularly save files as JPG. That means that millions of users would benefit from work in this area. And a programmer would need less than a day to code it.

I spent THOUSANDS of dollars/euros over the years on Photoshop and it just seems like a major let-down if there's no simple way to quickly export your work that you've spent hours on in Photoshop to an optimized and perfectly sharpened JPG.

It's like buying a Ferrari and then hitting it 30 minutes with a hammer. It's the final result that counts and that is judged by customers and the audience. Saved JPGs is often how my work is judged when the pictures are not printed.

All I'm asking for is an EXPORT function for JPG's that can be automated with an action. Is that really to much to ask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% of Photoshop users need to save their files. 99.99% will need to regularly save files as JPG.

As far as I can tell saving a jpg-copy can be achieved with an Action and reduced to a one-keyboard-shortcut task.

And a programmer would need less than a day to code it.

Not sure how qualified your estimate is but programming it is not all there is to it, interface-decisions and testing might take a lot of additional time.

I spent THOUSANDS of dollars/euros over the years on Photoshop and it just seems like a major let-down if there's no simple way to quickly export your work that you've spent hours on in Photoshop to an optimized and perfectly sharpened JPG.

To me it seems you are complaining about something being missing that is actually there.

Edit:

It's like buying a Ferrari and then hitting it 30 minutes with a hammer.

Or is it like buying a Ferrari and sticking with the first two gears?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Adobe should employ him for a Day. See if he can backup his statement. And be bug free...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler  schrieb

100% of Photoshop users need to save their files. 99.99% will need to regularly save files as JPG.

As far as I can tell saving a jpg-copy can be achieved with an Action and reduced to a one-keyboard-shortcut task.

That's absolutely true. You can save a copy of a file as JPEG through an action. But it will have the suffix "COPY.jpg" in the name even if the save location is in a completely different folder. Having to rename EVERY file is just insane. Why isn't there an option to keep the name the same? Why isn't there an option to add a suffix (800px, 1000px, etc) when duplicating files through an action?

Also the EXPORT FOR WEB (legacy) function allows exporting files from an action. But that function is going to be discontinued (that's why they put "legacy" in the menu name). Instead even the save for web function tells to use the EXPORT function. But here we go again: THE EXPORT FUNCTION DOES NOT WORK WITH ACTIONS!

I don't understand why you're defending these trivial shortcomings. Photoshop could be perfect if they just fixed tiny things like these. I don't need new functions or 3D. I just need a tool that works through the entire work process - including saving as JPG.

PS: Some of us photographers need to touch up over 100 pictures per day and then save it to 5 different resolutions. Please just allow a productive discussion about serious needs. Batch-processing is only a workaround after all files are completed. But if you want to deliver a few samples it just wastes a ton of time EVERY time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Why isn't there an option to add a suffix (800px, 1000px, etc) when duplicating files through an action?

Because Actions are simple; Scripts need not be that simple.

Sure Actions could be improved (have you posted a Feature Request at feedback.photoshop.com yet?) but then the Photoshop team runs the risk of confusing users who are comfortable with the current state of affairs.

I don't understand why you're defending these trivial shortcomings. Photoshop could be perfect if they just fixed tiny things like these.

The shortcomings you decry seem to be with Actions (and Saving-/Exporting-behaviour), not with Photoshop in principle.

Anyway I have seen people complain about Photoshop behaving as documented, expected and intended, so »perfect« may be a problematic target; some users will, it seems, not refer to the documentation but instead simply complain when the application does not behave as they imagined it should.

This is not meant to indicate that their Feature Requests can not have merit, but complaints are not always justified or directed correctly.

I do remember how uncomfortable it was familiarizing myself with Photoshop Scripting and the necessary JavaScript initially.

If you want to get serious about automating repetitive Photoshop tasks the decision not to use Scripting is yours to make …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines