• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export artboards to PDF file size PS CC 2017

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop CC 2017 artboards to create multiple sizes of artwork. I need to export to PDF as separate flattened files, but that function does not have the options to flatten. If I flatten each artboard, the resulting PDF file sizes are still much larger than when I used to use Save As with a single file.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Here is the explanation from Adobe I was looking for:

Using Alt + Delete to fill a layer on second Artboard makes that layer larger. Why?

The second to last response in that thread was very helpful to me:

Whats not clear to most users is that every layer in every artboard is really the same size as the overall image size. We trick Photoshop into treating artboards like separate docs but it is important to know that they aren't. This is why artboard files may seem disproportionately large, what appe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey

after you you make your artboards go to file>export >artbord to pdf then do as same as the photo

Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for you reply and screenshot. Actually, I've got that part. What I'm looking for is a way to export the artboards as flattened PDFs in a smaller file size. I opened one of the PDFs exported in this manner and it was an editable layered file that was very large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I flatten each artboard, the resulting PDF file sizes are still much larger than when I used to use Save As with a single file.

Am I missing something?

I learned on this forum is that artboards aren't what we think they are! They are actually windows into a background. Think one large background, divided into 3 smaller views (if you have 3 artboards).

For example, 3 artboards:

Photoshop CCss_012.png

Then select and ungroup them to see that it is one wide document large document.

Photoshop CCss_013.png

I suspect that this is having an impact on the file size. You could save a copy and play with this theory (keep the original safe): Delete two of the artboards, ungroup the remaining artboard, crop to size and then make the PDF. What happens to the file size after that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the explanation from Adobe I was looking for:

Using Alt + Delete to fill a layer on second Artboard makes that layer larger. Why?

The second to last response in that thread was very helpful to me:

Whats not clear to most users is that every layer in every artboard is really the same size as the overall image size. We trick Photoshop into treating artboards like separate docs but it is important to know that they aren't. This is why artboard files may seem disproportionately large, what appears to be many small layers can add up to a very large file.

I read this four months ago so I'm not sure I did a great job with my earlier answer—I hope that the combination of both will fill in that you were missing about artboards in Photoshop, and explain the larger that expected file sizes associated with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

That explains everything for me. Thank you! The forums here are really very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad I could help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tried to export the same artboards document I did a few months ago. Back then, the file was properly flattened and resized and the resulting pdf was 1.5mb big. After the photoshop update, the file is 70mb+.

What on earth is going on? Ive noticed that as Adobe tries to offer as much software as possible, the basic foundation features that Ive come to rely on are starting to get buggy and unreliable.

Is this PDF thing a new bug? How on earth do you ad a bug to an existing, working feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines