• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blue vignette on GoPro Hero 5 raw images

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else experiencing a strong blue vignette on GoPro raw images from the Hero 5? Here you can see a side by side of the preview in Lightroom then on the right the JPG the camera saved along side it. No corrections made to either image. The same happens when imported into PS.

http://imgur.com/PUU96IP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Sorry for the delay....had a power outage. I Googled 'gopro raw file blue vignette' and I think I found the explanation. The GoPro fisheye lens uses a lens profile that is installed in the camera's firmware to correct color shift at the edges of the frame. It's apparently an issue with the lens. That explains why the JPEG is corrected so I guess it's not applied to the raw file data.

GoPro RAW – Kari Post Photography

Compared to the native jpegs from the camera, the .GPR files are more saturated

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a white balance issue. Try setting LR WB to the 'As Shot' setting, which is what the camera JPEG is using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi trshaner, in the example WB is set to As Shot as you describe. Auto gives the most colour correct results however the vignette is still evident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see the vignette and thought it was just a WB issue. Please post the original camera raw and JPEG files to Dropbox or other file sharing site and I'll investigate further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the help. I've pulled up a different image out of the same trip and linked them below. It seems to affect any image that has a large amount of highlights, in my case pictures with plenty of snow.

JPG - GPR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay....had a power outage. I Googled 'gopro raw file blue vignette' and I think I found the explanation. The GoPro fisheye lens uses a lens profile that is installed in the camera's firmware to correct color shift at the edges of the frame. It's apparently an issue with the lens. That explains why the JPEG is corrected so I guess it's not applied to the raw file data.

GoPro RAW – Kari Post Photography

Compared to the native jpegs from the camera, the .GPR files are more saturated and have funky color vignetting caused the exagerated wide angle perspective of the lens – the edges of the frame are not only darker, but bluer in color. This was very evident in the photos I took of white snow – the jpegs did a better job of representing the snow as an even white color across the entire frame.

There may be a firmware fix that applies the lens correction to to raw files. You'll need to contact GoPro Tech Support:

https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

The Adobe supplied lens profile removes vignetting, but doesn't correct the blue color cast. For now you could use the Radial Filter and apply WB correction to remove it using the below settings. You may need to adjust the settings dependent on aperture setting.

GoPro Blue Vignette - Radial Filter Correction Settings.jpg

GoPro Blue Vignette - Radial Filter Correction.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That definitely seems like the most graceful fix for it right now until there's a new profile for Lightroom at least. Appreciate the effort and I'll have to keep an eye out for updates with LR CC and the GoPro firmware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines