• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is scaling my Prints up without my permission?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to print from Photoshop cc 2017 to HP Z5400 (everything updated, reinstalled, etc.) and Photoshop is deciding to rezie my print. In my case it is scaling the final print up. For instance look at the images I am providing and keep in mind that scale to fit and all of that is turned off everywhere I could possibly find it. I know it is a Photoshop to printer issue because if I save my Photoshop file as a PDF and print from acrobat it works fine. I understand the sane thing to reply back with is just print from Acrobat but why is this happening? The exact same file is printing differently depending on if it was printed from Acrobat as PDF or from Photoshop as PDF. Photoshop is rescaling every type of file...not just PDF. I thought I would show this example because it is obvious there is something going on when printing from Photoshop. Can someone please enlighten me as to why this is happening? I need to print from Photoshop but I can't because my prints are being rescaled?

PrintProblems.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

It looks like another reinstall of Photoshop has done the trick for now. I did try to just do a CTRL+ALT+SHIFT reset with no luck but the clean install has seemed to fix the communication with the printer driver somehow. All is back to normal for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking the problem comes from the difference between Rendering Resolution ppi and Printing Resolution dpi.....The Rendering Resolution has two settings 300 and 600. The Printing Resolution is set at 1200 x 1200. The image I'm printing is 180 ppi. Anyone have any advice? I have never run into this problem before and I'm starting to think there is some sort of communication error between PS and the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us the image in image size dialog? The Print dialog shows that image is not being scaled it shows 100% that the width is 41" inches and the height is 16.211 inches  that the paper being printed on is 43.5" wide and 18" high there is some unprintable area . The image being printed fits within the printable area and the preview show the image has small white borders on the top left and bottom and a large white border on the right.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ImageSize.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The green box below somehow is part of the culprit. Still seems like I have to save as a PDF and open in Acrobat and print from there. Its a mess and I'm not sure if its PS or HP.

PrintSettings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That green box would be for the HP drivers Preview and print quaity  which is not displayed the way you are printing through Photoshop.  You should see now that Photoshop's print preview and Photoshop Image size preview look the same it image has small borders on top left and bottom  and a big right border.  The image is 7380px  by 2918px an when printed  with 180dpi pixels will print 41" wide by 16,211' high.   Any Printer DPI setting is a a quality setting not the image dpi resolution.  It controls how well the printer will paint in the image 180dpi pixels.  The higher 1200 dpi printer resolution setting paint in the image larger 180dpi pixels finer using smaller droplets of diffent color inks so the 180 dpi pixels color are right and the pixels have higher quality.  To be honest I do not know what that render 300 ppi resolution is all about display PPI resolution can not be changed and  your display most likely does not have a 300ppi resolution.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing it is an issue with the printer driver communicating with PS. I am going to reinstall Photoshop again and see if it changes. It seems like HP has been giving others problems in this area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like another reinstall of Photoshop has done the trick for now. I did try to just do a CTRL+ALT+SHIFT reset with no luck but the clean install has seemed to fix the communication with the printer driver somehow. All is back to normal for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines