• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Am I the only one that still supports Classic ASP sites?

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since DW 2017, it seems Adobe has completely dropped support for ASP. And by "support", I mean the editor doesn't even recognize an ASP page.

In the lower right, you can select what kind of page it is, everything from "Bash", to "Haxe" to "Twig"....whatever those are....but no ASP!!!!!

This is most frustrating when editing an ASP page - even if I select VBScript, it still doesn't work correctly. When writing Javascript for instance in an ASP page, the code jumps around, auto-indents when it shouldn't, etc....it's driving me crazy.

Does anyone else have these issues? I don't develop much in ASP anymore, but still need to support many sites with changes, improvements, etc...

Any info/ideas appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

The support was removed because they moved over to using the brackets code editor in Dw. To add classic asp support was probably considered as not being worth while, as those requiring support can use an older version of Dw, or the VS code editor, with the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW has been removing ASP support slowly over the course of several years.

For modifying old ASP sites, I would suggest keeping an older version of DW on your system (if you don't want to move to a Microsoft product). As a paid subscriber, you can have every version of DW since the introduction of the Creative Cloud (CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015 and CC 2017) installed on the same machine at the same time. You just can't run them at the same time.

Here's how you get an older version using the CC Desktop App...

How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

classic asp was dropped by Microsoft in 2002, then a 3rd party developer maintained support, (security updates only) until about 2009.

So yes, a few people do still update sites that use classic asp, but creating new ones, probably not if they have any sense. I don't think Dw will consider supporting it as there is no advantage to doing so, and it is an ever decreasing market share.

You could try using visual studio code, with the classic asp support extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get all that - believe me, I do...

I'm just frustrated that they actually removed that support. It wasn't hurting anybody 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The support was removed because they moved over to using the brackets code editor in Dw. To add classic asp support was probably considered as not being worth while, as those requiring support can use an older version of Dw, or the VS code editor, with the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you have your answer.  For older sites with older code, use an older version of DW.

For new sites with new code, use the latest version.   Different tools for different project requirements.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines