• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stick Liquify effect to a tracked object? (CC 2017)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I tracked motion of an object in a video footage, applied tracking data (Position only) to a Null and then pick-whipped Liquify's Distortion Mesh Offset to the Null's Position and as soon as I did it, all visible Liquify effects disappeared from the footage. I would like the Liquify to stick to the tracked object. How could I do this?

I'm using version 14.0.1.5

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

You could want to add " + value " to the expression created by the pick whip and then scrub the values to offset them relative to the tracker to get the liquefy where you want it to be. That might work in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things:

1. You might consider updating, the latest version is 14.1.0.x, so you're missing some bug fixes. (But don't update if you're in the middle of a project and everything is working fine, of course!)

2. This tutorial is perfect for you. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Szalam.

Yes, that tutorial is great and I did solve my problem with it. However, i feel that in some cases attaching distortion effect to a tracked object using a pick-whip would be simpler.

I stated earlier that I "pick-whipped Liquify's Distortion Mesh Offset to the Null's Position and as soon as I did it, all visible Liquify effects disappeared from the footage". Actually, the distortion did not disappeared - it moved to the lower right corner (I noticed it only recently). So, I thought maybe I shouldn't apply tracking data to a Null but to a Solid of the same size as my Comp, but it didn't help. By the way, when I try to pick-whip Magnify effect to the tracked object's Position, the distortion doesn't move somewhere to the lower corner, but some 100px bellow the original location. So it seems that different distortion effect reacts differently to the attempts to pick-whip them to the tracked data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could want to add " + value " to the expression created by the pick whip and then scrub the values to offset them relative to the tracker to get the liquefy where you want it to be. That might work in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it works. fantastic. thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray! Glad it worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Demon face tutorial is very fun but not suitable for many production tasks. I wish the liquify tool would have an update to handle what is basic in other packages. 

Here are some problems with it now :

1. If one needs to distort multiply parts of the face - left eye, right eye, cheek, mouth, nose, chin, etc. There needs to be an individual precomp for each. That is headache to keep track of.

2. If the track is not perfect and one uses another Null for drift correction, the pick whip method will not work unless the transformations can be "baked" or collapsed in some way.

3. If the track is coming out of mocha, I think the corner pin data makes this a bit more complicated.

4. And finally, it is not 32 bit.

Every other package allows you to add a transform to distort tools as do some of the AE plugins out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines