• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An idea regarding XML and JS that I would like to make happen!

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello world!

I am working on a project and had an idea I was wondering if it would be possible to accomplish with indesign / javascript. I currently have a script  that creates files and adds a time-stamp, a name of who created the file, and some other variables in a footer section of the document. I got to thinking, that since all of those variables are already recorded if there was a way to have a script export these strings to a XML file to create a library of all documents that were created, when, by whom, etc. Is there a way to record specific object contents into an XML database? I am scripting for a business and it would a massive tool for us were we able to see all of this data in a single clean database that is done by a computer as opposed to the short hand, hand written, often incomplete notes we have now. I am open to any and all ideas suggestions, etc!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Hi there,

I don’t quite understand why you decided to keep this info in the footer section of the document; you must have a good reason for this: maybe you need to print it, or you already have loads of such documents and have to deal with what you have. But if I were you, I’d keep it in metadata because of the following reasons:

• It’s easy to get/set metadata by script
  • It’s easy to see and modify it for the user: in the ‘File info’ dialog box, or in Bridge
  • Metadata is copied to exported files: e.g.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a function of mine that writes the data from a variable to an xml file. You would probably have to play with the formatting some because mine is a simple one line xml file that I am writing but that shouldn't be hard to do.

function breakWrite(){

breakPointXml.open('r');

breakPointXmlRead=breakPointXml.read();

breakPointXml.close;

var breakPointXmlObj = new XML(breakPoint);

breakPointXmlObj2 = new File();

breakPointXmlObj2.open('w');

breakPointXmlObj2.write(breakPointXmlObj);

breakPointXmlObj2.copy(breakPointXml);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your input! I admit this is my first time working with writing XML interactions in javascript, would you mind giving me some notes on how your script works and what the different lines of code are doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I don’t quite understand why you decided to keep this info in the footer section of the document; you must have a good reason for this: maybe you need to print it, or you already have loads of such documents and have to deal with what you have. But if I were you, I’d keep it in metadata because of the following reasons:

• It’s easy to get/set metadata by script
  • It’s easy to see and modify it for the user: in the ‘File info’ dialog box, or in Bridge
  • Metadata is copied to exported files: e.g. if you export a pdf and send it to a print shop, they will be able to see the info – who created it, etc.

05-03-2017 15-15-06.png

Anyway, if you applied properly a paragraph style (and/or character style), it will be easy to duplicate it to metadata. 

Then I would use a really awesome utility created by Phil Harvey called ExifTool to create a CSV-file containing the metadata from all the documents in a certain folder.

For example, to get all XMP info from the files in the "D:\Test" folder I’d type this line:

exiftool -csv -r -xmp:all "D:\Test">"D:\Test\meta out.csv"

05-03-2017 14-56-43.png

ExifTool creates a CSV-file like so:

05-03-2017 14-57-00.png

which can be imported, say, to Excel (or Access, or a database)

05-03-2017 14-58-51.png

Now in Excel, you can see all the info I entered in InDesign:

05-03-2017 15-00-04.png

If necessary, you can export it from Excel as XML-file.

This is one of the few approaches that came to my mind.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WOW Thank you so much this is what I was looking for! Actually both of those reasons for keeping the footer are correct, I work at a print shop and we not only print all of our files, but have loads of them and keep a physical filing system still (I know -.-). I will do some experimenting and investigation with this but i do believe this is exactly what I had in mind! Much obliged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines