• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2017 offering limited font options

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Indesign CC 2017 on a MacBook Air. My coworker has the exact same setup - but mine was purchased early 2016, and hers was purchased late 2016. We just noticed a very annoying difference with our font options and I don't know how to change it. For example: main font is Myriad Pro, and then I have around 30 or or more ways to customize Myriad Pro. She only has the approx 4 basic options: bold, italic, etc. Where is this difference coming from, and how do we change it to give her all the same options I have? Screenshot below shows the font options I have (and what she needs).

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 3.39.53 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Actually, that full list of Myriad Pro typefaces were not bundled with any Adobe product. Either those fonts were installed by you or someone else onto your system explicitly (either by licensing the fonts through Adobe or a third party) or you used Typekit to make those fonts available to you. If those font files are explicitly located in any of the standard MacOS font directories, they are not via Typekit, but rather explicitly licensed and installed.

Note that with Typekit, the fonts with the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myriad is included with various applications, your fonts probably came with software that she didn't install.

Instruct her to log into her Typekit account (free with her CC subscription) and download the rest:

Myriad | Typekit

(Note that the green buttons indicate free downloads, the blue buttons indicate you can purchase the fonts.)

Google Chromess_009.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that full list of Myriad Pro typefaces were not bundled with any Adobe product. Either those fonts were installed by you or someone else onto your system explicitly (either by licensing the fonts through Adobe or a third party) or you used Typekit to make those fonts available to you. If those font files are explicitly located in any of the standard MacOS font directories, they are not via Typekit, but rather explicitly licensed and installed.

Note that with Typekit, the fonts with the “green buttons” are not really “free downloads!” They are fonts that are synchronized onto your system as long as you have an active Creative Cloud account. You don't have independent access to the actual font files and when packaging an InDesign document, those fonts won't be in the package. They will however, embed in any PDF files exported from InDesign.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks Dov for explaining how TypeKit fonts work with InDesign (and presumably the other Adobe apps). I see now why an enduser who receives an InDesign packaged document that uses Typekit fonts had to subscribe to Creative Cloud to be able to load these fonts  into the document. And how, of course , this doesn't effect a PDF as the fonts are embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I;ve actually found that even PDFs come in differently when they don't have specific fonts on their system. This was very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Dov!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines