Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2017 Viewer issue

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ae2017.PNG

There are no effects applied to this video. It shows fine in 2015. Any suggestions? When I drag around there is further distortion. Never seen anything quite as bad as this in AE before.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

I wouldn't call it a "known bug" just that I've seen it mentioned before, but rarely and without any easily-reproducible criteria.

Look at the Hardware Accelerate...Panels preference.

Screen+Shot+2016-02-17+at

Is it on or off?

Whichever it is, switch it to the other option to see if it makes a difference.

If that helps, then I would suspect a problem with the display drivers - or possibly a sync issue with the monitor.

More info about the monitor resolution, refresh rate, and other specs might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text written at the top of the image is completely unrelated to this issue, it is just part of the .mov file (uncompressed Apple QT)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have restarted AE 2017, restarted my computer. Issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I view at 50% or 100%,(the video is not torn) altho I have to pan around the image to see it is not torn like it is at 25% and lower, like the above picture, however this is most impractical for working as I cannot see my full image. What is happening here? My previews are set to accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody? I am struggling through my work with this issue, going to quarter resolution solves the problem, but I need to see this in Higher res!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing this in your composition panel or the layer panel?

What do you have the resolution for your viewer set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Composition panel. It is only when viewed at 25% or lower that the tearing occurs. I contacted Adobe support they told me it's my GPU, that it isn't on the list of supported cards and I need to get a supported card! It's a pretty common AMD 7970 or 280 as it was re-branded as (The 280 is on the list of supported cards tho). Very disappointing response if you ask me. Worked fine in 2015 at 4k, works at other resolutions in 2017 other than 4k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the first time I've heard reports of Adobe support saying that. It sounds like there is a need for some re-education about AE. Yes, that card isn't on the list of "Supported" cards for the ray-traced renderer, but that list is completely irrelevant to your issue because you are not using that feature and it has nothing to do with any other part of AE!

The issue lies elsewhere.

I'd suggest you try contacting support again, but ask for the video queue. Hopefully you'll get someone with a bit better knowledge about how AE works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I understand that your zoom level is 25%, but what was your resolution set to? If you set it to quarter, does it behave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. The resolution tears when set to full, but lower resolutions are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!

So, it's still a bug, but we have a good workaround.

Just set your comp resolution to Auto. That way, it will be full resolution when you're zoomed in to check stuff, but it won't show artifacts when you zoom out to see the whole thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a known bug? That workaround does work, but it still looks too blurry at quarter res really,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't call it a "known bug" just that I've seen it mentioned before, but rarely and without any easily-reproducible criteria.

Look at the Hardware Accelerate...Panels preference.

Screen+Shot+2016-02-17+at

Is it on or off?

Whichever it is, switch it to the other option to see if it makes a difference.

If that helps, then I would suspect a problem with the display drivers - or possibly a sync issue with the monitor.

More info about the monitor resolution, refresh rate, and other specs might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, switching it off works. I updated my drivers, it worked fine in 2015. I have the same issue on both of my monitors, with a refresh rate of 59hz.

After approaching support a 2nd time, I had my enquiry forwarded to "research team". Should hear back from them in 24-48 hours apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So having that off works. Good! Can we count that as a solution for now?

Out of curiosity, if you turn that switch on in CC 2015, do things still behave?

If you would like to make sure the team that works on After Effects sees your issue too, you can file a bug report here. It's a bit of a clunky form, but once it does send, it goes straight to the AE team. They don't often contact you afterwards (they sometimes do if they need more info), but it does go to a human on the actual AE team who reads it and deals with it. Give them as much information as you can - everything I asked about and more if you can think of anything. Definitely tell them that it works with that switch off. Give them full version numbers of the version where it worked and the version you're using now that doesn't work unless you flip the switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, 59Hz? That's not normal. It's usually 60.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines