• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Does Every Photo I Take Need "DeHazing"?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I am starting to experiment with Lightroom Mobile, so I'm still learning.

I have found that nearly ALL photos I take need to be Dehazed. Why?

For more info, I have a Nexus 5x phone, which has a decent-good camera (for a cell phone).

I have Lightroom mobile set to "Pro" so I can get raw images.

Now, originally I thought the exposure was just too high and I needed to do some processing on the raw image, but after spending some time in Lightroom on my desktop, I found exposure adjustments just weren't fixing it.

I tried all the settings I thought might affect the clarity of the photo, and found that 'Dehaze' is the setting that consistently fixes all of the photos taken with the Lightroom camera app.

Note: when using the native Android app, I don't seem to have this problem. That's why I thought it was because I was shooting in Raw via Lightroom mobile, and had the exposure waaaaaaay too high. But lowering the exposure in Develop didn't come close to fixing the image like "Dehaze" did.

It's like the Dehaze simultaneously lowers the exposure, brings down the whites, reduces glare (if there is any) and makes the images so much clearer. It makes a much bigger improvement than I think it 'should.'

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't comment as to why your photos need the dehaze filter applied. But if it improves them then there is nothing wrong with using it. One thing to consider is that you could apply the dehaze filter to a newly imported image. Then save new camera defaults, and that amount of dehaze will be applied automatically whenever you import new images or reset existing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you cleaned the finger print off the lens of the Phone camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I'm a novice at photography, but am always careful about keeping lenses cleaned.

I also purchased a somewhat expensive clear cover (like a cell phone screen protector) that was designed for this particular phone.

I considered that maybe this 'lens protector' didn't have good optical clarity and was scattering light entering the lens, but I get good photos using the stock Android camera app, so I discounted this theory.

But yes, to answer your question, I am very careful with lenses. Paranoid careful. As in, most people would think I'm way TOO careful with lenses/cameras/cell phones !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yom91755153  wrote

Hi there!

I tried all the settings I thought might affect the clarity of the photo, and found that 'Dehaze' is the setting that consistently fixes all of the photos taken with the Lightroom camera app.

I downloaded some sample Nexus 5s DNG files and can confirm what you are seeing. It appears the embedded camera profile is not applied properly to the raw data resulting in an image that appears flat and over-exposed. The Basic panel controls help, but can't achieve the image quality of applying Dehaze. In the samples I downloaded a Dehaze setting of 60 with Basic panel Highlights at -50 and Shadows at +50 appears to be a good starting point. As mentions, there is nothing wrong with using Dehaze to achieve better results. In this case it's a simple "fix' that makes the raw image file look "normal."

You can file a 'Problem' report at the below link and perhaps it will get Adobe's attention:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah!!! Thank you so much for that information!

I was honestly thinking that there wouldn't be a good explanation, besides maybe my technique is poor!

Although this is sort of 'bad', it is great to know that someone else out there, with far more experience than me, can confirm there is an issue!

And when I read your post over again, I'm like "Yes!!! That's what I thought too!" All the photos taken with the Nexus 5x in Lightroom Mobile seem VERY overexposed! (But Dehaze improved the photos far more than adjusting exposure and other settings. I bet if I fiddled with very specific adjustments as you mention, I could get 'better' results than just applying Dehaze, but Dehaze worked quickly and well for every photo, so that's what I used)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help. As suggested you can change the Default Develop Settings, which are file type (DNG, JPEG) and camera model specific. Select one of the Nexus 5x phone DNG files, hit the Reset button in the Develop module, and apply only Dehaze and any other settings Highlights, Shadows) that provide a better starting point. Next hold down the ALT key, hit the Reset button again, and click 'Update to Current Settings.' When new Nexus 5x phone DNG files are Imported they will have these settings applied automatically. For existing files you can create a Develop preset with just those specific settings and apply it as needed.

Lightroom CC – Creating and Saving Presets in the Develop Module « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed you posted a Problem Report. I'm placing the link here so others reading this post with the same issue can add there vote:

Nexus 5x Camera Profile in Lightroom Mobile is Very Wrong! | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  yom91755153,

I can see what you are talking about. Thank you for reporting this.

There is one thing you can try doing. I suppose you are clicking photos in DNG format. This DNG format is not processed at all. If you want a little processed images, you can tap on "DNG" mentioned on the Capture screen and select "JPEG". This should solve your problem of Over exposed images.

If, though, you wish to capture DNG images, there will be post processing required as it is a raw format. A simple Auto correct should solve the purpose.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers,

Swarnima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swarnima  wrote

If, though, you wish to capture DNG images, there will be post processing required as it is a raw format. A simple Auto correct should solve the purpose. 

please read my reply #3 above.

"I downloaded some sample Nexus 5s DNG files and can confirm what you are seeing. It appears the embedded camera profile is not applied properly to the raw data resulting in an image that appears flat and over-exposed. The Basic panel controls help, but can't achieve the image quality of applying Dehaze."

Please place any new comments at the below Problem Report. Thank you.

Nexus 5x Camera Profile in Lightroom Mobile is Very Wrong! | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you noticed that the OP mentions experimenting with Lightroom Mobile. The default settings being mentioned are on the Desktop so wouldn't affect what is seen in camera after taking would they???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Now, originally I thought the exposure was just too high and I needed to do some processing on the raw image, but after spending some time in Lightroom on my desktop, I found exposure adjustments just weren't fixing it."

"I tried all the settings I thought might affect the clarity of the photo, and found that 'Dehaze' is the setting that consistently fixes all of the photos taken with the Lightroom camera app."

The issue appears to be due to improper application of the embedded camera profile in BOTH LR Mobile and Desktop applications.

Guys please add any further comments at the Problem Report:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines