• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I merge two compositions from different projects?

Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on two compositions in separate After Effects files (a 6 second and a minute composition). How can I merge the compositions in a new composition so that the minute long composition will follow immediately after the 6 second composition?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

depperiousity,

You should ask over here (or should I say over there?):

After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways here are a few. I suggest going with the first method.

• Select all items on the timeline in the minute long composition , copy , then go to your your 6 second comp, position your insertion bar to the end  and paste the keyframes, you may need to extend the length of your composition in your settings
  • render out each composition to a format such as .mp4, and then import each into a new composition
  • precompose each of your compositions, and  copy and paste them into a new composition. Either method will work, you can think of precomposing as grouping if you are new to after effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mike+Gondek2  wrote

render out each composition to a format such as .mp4, and then import each into a new composition

Disagree with this part. You do not want to render to a compressed format like MP4 and then continue working on it. Render to a proper mezzanine codec (intermediate codec, production codec, whatever you want to call it). Something like QuickTime with the PNG codec, Cineform, DNxHD, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I would do it:

1. Save the project with the six-second comp as "Merged Project"
  2. Import the project with the one-minute comp into "Merged Comp." It will show up in a folder.
  3. Reveal the contents of said folder and find the one-minute comp
  4. Drag this entire one-minute comp into the timeline of your six-second comp. If needed, set the duration of this comp to be 1min and 6 sec. Select the minute long comp in the time line, go to the 6-second point and hit "["

That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree with all you're methodes. The easiest is:

1. If the compositions are finished save them

2. After wich you change the composition settings here you need to change the end timing tot your end time do this for both compositions.

3. Save them both again.

4. Create a new project.

5. Select import drop down menu and select the file option

6. Now import both *.aep files, they will show up as folders

7. Create a new composition and import the old compositions from the folders in After Affects (can be achieved by drag and dropping)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh your method was so much easier! thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is the best method here. The other suggestions are... well I don't have anything good to say about them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a very basic thing in AE, inport the 6 sec project inside the one minute project and create a new comp 1 min and 6 sec thane drag both comps inside your new comp 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines