• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to replace files in the project window

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have After Effects cc 2017.1 Version 14.1.0.57 on a Mac.

When I want to replace an image in the project window, the ai and psd files are greyed out, therefore, not allowing me to replace files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What files exactly? Where are they stored? How are they used in the project? That said, withg those files you typically replace the individual layers, not the entire file, so maybe you simply misunderstand that part?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I open a AE project, and get a message saying there are missing files. I type in the project window, missing footage, select one of the missing files, replace footage, I locate the file I'm looking for but it is greyed out, not allowing me to replace. They are ai and psd files. They are all stored on the same hard drive. They are used within comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you have enabled Preview on the folders in question or sync them with iCloud or another service? Sounds like they are locked up by anotehr process.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will I know that please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, are you saying that the files are greyed out in AE's project panel or in the dialog box you get after you choose to replace them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, is there a chance that you edited the PSD and AI files, adding new layers or groups? This might throw a wrench in relinking them (also changing them to CMYK color space will do that.) If you did edit the source files, you can always import them back into AE, select the layers in the comp that use the artwork and option-drag (on Mac) the new items over the old to replace them. Unfortunately, if you did animation inside these layers, that would get lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem.  I am picking up a project mid stride from another designer who for assorted reasons is not available to help sort out this convoluted mess of project files, but I have both the AE projects and the psd's.

Now - the psd'd were imported in as comps, so I know that I have to reconnect to the original psd from one of the imported layers.  However when I attempt to do so, the psd's on question are ghosted out and not selectable in the dialogue window.  There is no other process using the files, as they were only just copied to my machine.  Now, I know I could re-import the files, and do the option drag dance, but these are numerous, intricate and absolutely abhorrently organized projects and taking that route is an exercise in frustration of sysiphusian proportions.

When I look at the file path - the previous artist apparently had hundreds of files just tossed about on his desktop - the name of the file from which the layer was extrapolated is the same as the grayed out option I am looking at.  I've really never seen anything like it, but my ability to do this work hinges upon me finding a solution.

Open to anything...

- Willie

PS - here is an example of one of the layers in question.  You can see clearly in the file path option that the name - macky01.psd is correct, even the nested folder 05macky is the same.  The file dimensions are identical (8192x6244), and I can neither see nor think of any reason why this isn't working.  Its like this for literally hundreds of layers across dozens of files.

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.15.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you try to relink other stuff like PNG files, for instance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, there was a point update difference - I was on 14.1 and the comp I was sent was saved in 14.2. Normally when there is a version difference, AE tells you.  It did not this time, likely due to it being a minor point release and therefore not significant enough to have an impact on normal usage, but I can attest that this is not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might not have to do with the fact that the original comp was saved in a newer version; it might just be that they fixed some bugs with replacing images in the 14.2 version that were present in the 14.1 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's certainly possible, though I had experienced no issues with the operation in 14.1 previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines