New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When trying to install Flash Player 24.0.0.x ActiveX, I get an error:

Error1722.png

Event Viewer Error Message:

Product: Adobe Flash Player 24 ActiveX -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action NewCustomAction1, location: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\{BBFE8F5D-C440-45C7-B9C5-B6445D2C9B56}\InstallAX_24_0_0_221.exe, command: -install -msi -prev 0

Haven't figured out how to add installer log yet, too long to paste here.

Chrome, Firefox MSI packages install with no problem.

Windows 7 Pro x64

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'll need to review the installation log files to troubleshoot the error.  Please provide the following log files:

• FlashInstall.log files saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    • edit the file name to include system32 and syswow64 in the file name to easily identify which file is from which directory
  • Run the MSI installer again with v+x (verbose + extra debugging options) and save the output to a log file
  • Upload all 3 log files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please try running the ActiveX EXE installer as Admin (right-click 'Run as Administrator') on an impacted system?  After the installation completes, or fails, provide updated FlashInstall.log files (from both locations).

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you now that by running InstallAX_24_0_0_ 221.exe with the full GUI experience, it installs just fine, but this is not the way I want to install FP on all the machines of course.

When I try: "InstallAX_24_0_0_ 221.exe -install -msi -prev 0", as stated in NewCustomAction1 (MSI), it uninstall the previous FP, but will not install the new one, doesn't give any visible errors. I will post logs tomorrow.

By the way.. I tried this with one version, but this is a workaround, not a solution and I don't like it, because it invalidates Adobe's certificate: when I removed NewCustomAction1 from the MSI package, it installed just fine, but by doing so, the package loses Adobe's certificate and is therefore compromised. But maybe this gives you a hint or something as to what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information. Running the EXE by itself was just a test.

Removing the custom action would allow the MSI installer to run, but it's not installing Flash Player as that's the command to install Flash Player.

We'd like for you to run perform the follwowing:

Try to reproduce the error from elevated command-prompt window:

1. Launch the command-prompt by right-click > Run as Administrator
  2. run the MSI installer from the elevated command-prompt window using msiexec command in either UI or silent mode
  3. does Flash Player install successfully, or return error.

Reproduce the error using ProcessMonitor:

1. Download Process Monitor from this location Process Monitor.
    • This will download a zip file containing the standalone utility, extract the contents to the Desktop
  2. Launch Process Monitor (procmon.exe)
  3. Launch Flash Player MSI installer, and proceed with the installation
  4. When the error is returned, click OK in the error dialog window and exit out of the MSI installer dialog window
  5. Go back to the Process Monitor
  6. On the File menu, click Save to save the Process Monitor log file.
  7. Under Events to save, click to select the All events check box.
  8. Under Format, click to select the Native Process Monitor Format (PML) check box.
  9. In the Path box, specify a location on the local hard disk where you want to save the file.
  10. Upload the Process Monitor log file to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document
  11. Private message me the URL to the uploaded file.
    1. To send a private message, click on my user name link and then on the 'Message' button link.  Include a link to this discussion topic.

--

Maria

<edited>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Removing the custom action would allow the MSI installer to run, but it's not installing Flash Player as that's the command to install Flash Player."

To clarify that. It is possible to install the FP by removing NewCustomAction1 from MSI, but when last time I just checked if it installs, this time I checked if it actuallty works. It doesn't. Flash frames one the web show the FP version when I right click them, but no content is being played, so it doesn't really work. Programs and Features for example show that it's installed aswell.

"Try to reproduce the error from elevated command-prompt window:"

I tried to install MSI package from elevated command prompt, the result was the same.. an issue with NewCustomAction1.

"Reproduce the error using ProcessMonitor:"

Sent the Process Monitor log output via Message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I received the PML file and have forwarded it to the installer engineer for evaluation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing the updated FlashInstall.log files.  We do see an error, Microsoft error 8002801C (Error accessing the OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) registry) which indicates a permissions error.  We reviewed the PML file again and, in conjunction with the added debugging, identified some registry entries which can't be accessed due to lack of permissions. These entries are:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

HKCR\Wow6432Node\Interface\{DDF4CE26-4BDA-42BC-B0F0-0E75243AD285}

HKCR\Wow6432Node\Interface\{1D4C8A81-B7AC-460A-8C23-98713C41D6B3}

HKCR\Wow6432Node\Interface\{299817DA-1FAC-4CE2-8F48-A108237013BD

Please do the following:

1. Using regedit.exe, locate the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000. Right-click on it and select Permissions.  In the 'Permissions for Windows Error Reporting' window click the Advanced button.  Take a screenshot of the Permissions Advanced settings and post it here, or upload it to cloud.acrobat.com/send and send me the link to the uploaded file.

2. Are you running any antivirus software?  If so, please disable it and try running the installer again. If it succeeds, it was the a/v software that was blocking the installation. If it fails again, proceed to the item 3 below.

3. Microsoft has a utility (subInACL.exe) that can reset the file system and registry permissions.  You can try running this to reset the permissions on the offending entry.  See the blog post https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2006/09/04/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool... for information on running subInACL to fix the permissions.

If you have multiple systems experiencing the same behaviour, I recommend performing these steps on only one system, to test if it works..

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help !

The problem was that somehow the registry keys ACLs got corrupted as shown on the picture.

I was able to change the owner of the keys and delete them. After that the ActiveX installer worked fine.

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines