• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add 1 or More Items to an ExistingTopic List

Engaged ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the importance of waiting until all content is stable before creating the topic list for the index to my document. I thought I had done that, but lo and behold, I found an outlier, which I now have added.

So now, the question now becomes, is it possible to insert this new item into the existing document structure, so that subsequent page numbers are simply increased by one or two (in this case, the new item occupies a two page spread)?

Luckily, my new item slides in relatively late/low in the document, so that removing and re-adding perhaps a dozen or less, subsequent images is not a big deal. But if this feature does not now exist, I propose to suggest that it be added in a future update to inDesign.

Any comments appreciated, as always.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The 'Table of Content' will adapt to your updates. You just need to refresh it from the Layout menu, as long as you are consistent with the formatting styles.

The page numbering will adapt as well, wich will be updated in the Table of Content.

Regarding the pictures, that's another challenge. If you have inserted the images individually, you will need to move them to the correct page. Only if you 'anchor' them with your text; they will flow with the content as you add more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anchoring images with text will help with this. Make sure you anchor it to the paragraph in question etc not the text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that’s interesting, but my pictures don’t flow within or around a larger body of text. Book has only pictures and captions.

jwc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

that's even better.

If the page numbers are designed on your master pages, when you insert the additional pages within your document, the page numbers, left-right design aspects... will update automatically, add the required page numbers.

Then refresh your table of content.

Regarding the captions, are they automatic or do you draw them individually? Automatic sounds quite efficient in the case you are describing. Right-click on a picture frame and select Caption>Generate Live Caption. This would allow for the caption to 'stick' to the pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines