• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ps, Id & Ai : Keyboard arrows reversed (right to left)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greeting all,

When I typed in Hebrew or Arabic I faced this issue, if I wanna move the text cursor between the letters using the keyboard arrows (Right or Left only) it moves reversibly (the right arrow moves the cursor to the left, and the left cursor moved it to the right), while all the types setting are fine as it showing on my screen capture here:

Test issue.png

I spent more that a week seeking for a solution but I didn't find any things in this regards.

can you please help !!

I'm using CC 2017 = Macbook pro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Marhaba,

This is the "Logical" behaviour is it was named over two decades ago. Go to the menu InDesign > Preferences > Right-to-Left, then from cursor movement drop menu choose "Visual"

Although Logical behaviour may not appear to act logically to you at first, however if you work on an English/Arabic publication where you need combine RTL and LTR together in same line, you'll find cursor movement as logical in a sense that each time you press right arrow on the keyboard the cursor will always mov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marhaba,

This is the "Logical" behaviour is it was named over two decades ago. Go to the menu InDesign > Preferences > Right-to-Left, then from cursor movement drop menu choose "Visual"

Although Logical behaviour may not appear to act logically to you at first, however if you work on an English/Arabic publication where you need combine RTL and LTR together in same line, you'll find cursor movement as logical in a sense that each time you press right arrow on the keyboard the cursor will always move to next character regardless whether the text is Arabic or English. While if you select Visual in the Preferences settings and work on a multilingual publication, cursor will behave as expected for Arabic text but Illogical within an English word and sentence. Try it.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 1.59.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahaln, Mr. Zaid,

You don't how much I'm happy to see your name shining in this page , I'm really proud of you and it is such an honor writing to you.

Thanks for the InDsign solution, and it works well, any solutions for the Ps and Ai please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help my dear.

Cursor behaviour can only be controlled in InDesign at the way mentioned earlier since InDesign deals with long text. There isn't such control in Photoshop and Illustrator unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I though, because I spent lots of time looking fo a solution, I hope that we can report that to Adobe technical Dept. millions of Arab users waiting for this problem to be solved.

Have a nice day Mr. Zaid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines