• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Letters in body of text

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select certain letters in a body of text to be able to change it's opacity for all of those letters? For example just being able to select all the letter E's and changing it's opacity.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, transparency is a frame attribute. If you want to do this, you have to cut and copy the letter(s) in separate rames, then anchor the frames back in the text. Doable if you have only a few…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT TRUE...

You can easily do this either manually by adjusting the tint on each letter:

Capture 2.PNG

Or by using the effects panel to alter either text or frame:

Capture 1.PNG

Or by using a character style on its own with a set tint.

Capture 3.PNG

Or a Paragraph style with either a nested or GREP style if you wanted to apply the character style automatically.

But it depends how "transparent" you want the text to be... I'm not sure you could automate things like drop shadows... although you could probably adjust the paragraph style to somewhat achieve something similar.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer is wrong. Reducint the tint does not affect the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - some fair points. Thanks.

You are correct I should have specified the opacity function in part 1 as well as tint and made the OP aware that my solution was in effect a hack.

Equally they could have avoided tint all together and gone for [None] as a character style. But this would depend on the background image and if they wanted elements of the "e" visible through it.

If they require "true transparency" then they will either have to do this in a semi manual format... or submit a feedback request to enable opacity in paragraph styles.

In summary my solution #3 was to give the appearance of "opacity" not "transparency".

However I do not feel that the answer was completely wrong... just perhaps not clarified well enough.

Which is a lesson I will try to improve upon.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you must break the text you will add opacity for it then you will add the transparency on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but no you don't. See my post. I'll happily explain how to apply a GREP or Nested Paragraph style to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to achieve? Is this for body text or a heading?

If it's a short amount of text, you can convert the "e's" to Outlines in the Type menu and drop the transparency. The anchoring is automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again - I'm going to say this is not the best way.

Sorry Jane-e I really like your posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 100%, Eternal Warrior​! And now I am feeling compelled to have my first cup of coffee before I answer any more posts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daniellef53309996  wrote

Can you select certain letters in a body of text to be able to change it's opacity for all of those letters? For example just being able to select all the letter E's and changing it's opacity.

Thank you

Hi Danielle,

I don't know how versed you are with InDesign.

So I picked out all things important for me from your post.

We have:

1. select certain letters

2. all the letters E's

3. opacity

To 1: In that combination I'd say this is not possible. Not at all.

We cannot "select" certain letters that are not in a consecutive string with InDesign. Unfortunately.
We can reach them, but we cannot select them in one go. Just one after another. I mean: "select"—like in "select with the text tool".

To 2: If we can drop the word "select" and say:

Reach out for "all the letters E's" and format them in a special way, then yes, this is possible. By Find/Change for example.

Or by using special paragraph styles where we define the formatting of letters like "E" with an automatic "Find a text pattern"-machine that is called GREP. With GREP it is possible to tell a paragraph style: Find all letters "E" and apply a character style to the found characters. Automatically. So far so good.

To 3: Now here is the real difficulty:
opacity

If you mean "opacity" like "tint", and "tint" is not "opacity" and not transparent at all, then it's easy. Just set up a paragraph style with a GREP command for "E" and apply a character style where "tint" is reduced, let's say to 60% of the used color with the paragraph style.

Done.

But: If you mean "opacity" like it is done with the Effects panel, then we have a problem.

The Effects panel is able to apply opacity to text. That's the good news.

But it can do that only per text frame. That's the bad news.

The effect cannot discern between letter "e" or not-letter-"e" for example.

It's all text in the frame or nothing.

End of the story, if we want the text keep editable and live?

No, like others here suggested:

Using extra text frames for all letters "e" flowing with a story? Can be done.

Using outlined graphics shaped as "e" that are flowing with a story? Also this.

All possible but inconvenient if one likes to keep the text editable. Think of hyphenation. Think of changing text size in the last minute before publishing, think of other problems that come along if you want add text to the story where letter "e" is involved.

So again: End of story?
Not quite yet. We could reach our goal by using a combination of tricks.

Trick 1:

Use two text frames that are exactly stacked on each other. Same size. Same position.

Plus create two paragraph styles that are based on each other: Style A and Style B.

Text frame A on top is formatted with style A.

Style A has a fill color for all text with swatch "None".

The GREP pattern is telling the text to format all letters "e" with fill color "Black".

Set opacity or any other effect you want to see with letters "e" to text of frame A with the Effects panel.

Text frame B stacked below is formatted with style B.

Style B has a fill color for all text with swatch "Black".

The GREP pattern is telling the text to format all letters "e" with fill color "None".

To get the same text for both frames copy text from frame A and paste it unformatted to frame B.

Do that every time when the text is edited with frame A.

If you change the font of style A you need not do anything else: Style B will follow immediately.

Trick 2:

Let changes in text of frame A be automatically transferred to frame B.

That involve—of course—GREP patterns with GREP Styles and linked stories.

Now what is a linked story?
A linked story is a story that can follow another story consistantly in content.

If the master is changed, the linked story will follow if it is updated through the Links panel.

How can we get a linked story?

Use the Conveyor Belt Tool, official name is "Content Place Tool".

Load text frame A to the belt. Place the text frame as linked frame ( = linked story ) to the page. That is our text frame B.

Define how the two frames and stories are tied to each other—formatting of the frames, formatting of the text—with the Links Options in the Links panel.

Now we have a set of two text frames, that are tied together.

Set opacity or any other effect you want to see with letters "E" to text of frame A.

If you change the formatting of style A—used throughout frame A, style B used with frame B will follow. B is based on A.

If you change the contents of the master story in the text frame on top, the contents of the frame below will follow if updated through the Links panel.

Here some screenshot to illustrate this. The two text frames A and B next to each other. Not stacked.
The opacity of frame A is already changed by using the Effects panel.

1-LinkedStory-Letter-e-with-effect.png

Here stacked on each other:

2-LinkedStory-Letter-e-with-effect-StackedFrames.png

Editing is best done with the Story Editor window. Below frame A on top of B is selected.
The little Link adornment at frame B is showing a not updated link.

Also seen in the Links panel.

4-LinkedStory-Letter-e-with-effect-StackedFrames-EditingText.png

After updating the link in the Links panel:

( Oops. Forgot an "e" with "here". No problem. Edit the text again and update the link. )

6-LinkedStory-Updated-2.png

A different effect is used with frame A. "Differenz" in my German UI. I stacked a graphic frame with a gradient below to make that more visible. Note, that the links panel is showing that all is up-to-date.

7-LinkedStory-EffectsProofed-Difference-with-Background.png

If you want it easy go with trick 1. It's a bit more effort to synchronize the contents and the frame's dimensions, if something is changing, but it's way less complex to set this all up like in trick 2 with a linked text frame/story.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's an innovative trick I didn't think of Uwe.

Thank you for clarifying my somewhat poorly defined hack.

I hope I didn't irritate you.

I will have to remember the points and ideas you raised here for my own future reference.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines