• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace image losing quality

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I replace image in existing pdf it loses quality over the originally imported image. Is there any setting to improve the imported image quality?

image-quality.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

I think I know what's going on: I don't see a difference in the image quality, so that probably means that there is a setting that's different on your computer. Open up your Acrobat preferences, then go to the "Convert To PDF" category, select PNG as the format and then click on the "Edit Settings..." button. On the dialog that pops up, you can modify how a PNG image is processed when it's imported. The problem here is that Acrobat has to uncompress the PNG image data and then store it - for fil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Acrobat are you using? There should not be any change in the image quality when you import the image into Acrobat. How are you importing?

The only thing that could explain what you are seeing is a setting in the rendering options: Open up Acobat's Preferences, then go to the  "Page Display" category and toggle the "Rendering" options:

2017-02-21_18-17-20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I'm using Acrobat Pro DC 2015.023.20056 on Mac OS X Sierra. I checked the Rendering setting under preferences and it matches with the screenshot that you have attached. I even tried turning off smooth image option but it didn't had any improvement in the image quality either. For replacing the image I click on "Edit PDF" option then select the image that I want to replace, Right-click and click on replace image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try to toggle all of the rendering settings to see if any of them makes a difference. Can you provide your original PDF file and the image file you are using to replace the existing image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot share the original pdf due to our company's compliance policy restrictions. However, it applies to any image whichever you choose.

For testing purpose I've attached a sample pdf doc which contains an image, along with the same image used in pdf.

To recreate the issue, you can try replacing the image with the attached pdf and check the difference.

Download link

I observed the same quality loss issue while creating a new pdf from image through Acrobat. For pdf creation I'm using imagemagick script which doesn't suffer from the quality loss issue unlike Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I know what's going on: I don't see a difference in the image quality, so that probably means that there is a setting that's different on your computer. Open up your Acrobat preferences, then go to the "Convert To PDF" category, select PNG as the format and then click on the "Edit Settings..." button. On the dialog that pops up, you can modify how a PNG image is processed when it's imported. The problem here is that Acrobat has to uncompress the PNG image data and then store it - for file size reasons - in a compressed format again. On this dialog, you can specify what compression mechanisms to use for different image types. This is what I use:

2017-03-01_07-32-46.png

ZIP compression is lossless - and I don't see any change in the image quality - so I assume that your system is set up for JPEG compression with a low or medium quality setting. I am pretty sure that once you change this to ZIP, your image will come in looking just like the original. You can actually test with the Output Preview tool when you select the "Object Inspector":

2017-03-01_07-27-23.png

When you compare the original and modified image, you should see the same information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines